Christmas ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loydstuts

I am interested in doing some Christmas ornaments. Some time back, when I was researching pen turning, l stumbled upon some ornament kits with long bottom finials. I think they were 24 k gold. I found PSI and Wood craft kits, but not these. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I cannot help you with 24K gold finials, never seen them sold by any woodturning vender.
You can use any wood you have to turn ornaments finish clear or add color to them.
When made ornaments with long finials bought a few stands to hang them from Packard or Craft Supplies cannot remember. If add a finial for bottom, I turn-em short these days.

Woodturning Reference and Information Magazine Online

rblakemore

Good morning Loyd, try inside-out turning; I am going to chase down a class here in the Houston area and make some this fall.

Attachments

• inside-out_boxelder_Ornament.jpg
    inside-out_boxelder_Ornament.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 189

sbwertz

Good morning Loyd, try inside-out turning; I am going to chase down a class here in the Houston area and make some this fall.

I love inside out ornaments. A few ideas I've used...For "baby's first Christmas" ornaments, hang a tiny silver picture frame inside the ornament, or a charm with the baby's birthday engraved on it.

Tiny silver or brass bells can be suspended in the center of the ornament. You can also turn a wooden bell in a contrasting color to hang inside. Oblong (rather than spherical) ornaments are pretty.

They are really easy to turn, but it is CRITICAL that all four pieces be perfectly square and exactly the same size. I cut them on the table saw to get consistent sizes. I make the blank a little oversized, glue together the four pieces just at the top and bottom. Make the first cut, then using the bandsaw or table saw, cut off the top and bottom, rotate the pieces, glue them back together securely, and shape the outside.

This one is maple, and was made with an oblong "window" to showcase the little rosewood bell.

IMG_2571%2B%5BDesktop%2BResolution%5D.JPG

Sharon

rblakemore

Good evening Loyd, the class on Christmas ornaments is on Oct 4 or 5 and sponsored by the Gulf Coast Woodturners Association which is here in the general Houston area. A great group of highly skilled and friendly folks. But, unfortunately the two classes are about closed. If you would like, I can see if "guests" can attend. There are several youtube videos and I may try to make one before the class.

loydstuts

Good evening Loyd, the class on Christmas ornaments is on Oct 4 or 5 and sponsored by the Gulf Coast Woodturners Association which is here in the general Houston area. A great group of highly skilled and friendly folks. But, unfortunately the two classes are about closed. If you would like, I can see if "guests" can attend. There are several youtube videos and I may try to make one before the class.

Nah, looks like I'm obligated then. Thanks for checking into it for me!!

Top Bottom