Christmas crunch time Sierra question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

All right. Things are NOT going well in the christmas present department. I started with enough time now with screw ups. exploding laminations and cracking blanks I am in crunch mode. I am thinking that I need to not make Jr. Gents as they take a while and hurt the wallet when you F$%^ them up which I have done to two of them.

Thinking of going with the sierras for the ladies. Having never seen one on person, how to feel to write with. Do they have some weight or are they flimsy feeling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe this will help. A Jr Gent fountain, with a converter, but no ink in it is 8/10 oz. This is for the body only, not including weight of cap. So, it is the part you would hold if you were writing, for a pen that does NOT post.

Also weighed a Sierra-style (actually it is a diplomat, chrome and gunmetal) with a 9000 refill in it----1.4 ounces, or 75% heavier.

Jr gent---.8oz
sierra ---1.4 oz

BTW, there is an elegant beauty and there is an elegant sierra, they are not the same pen. In fact there is an elegant beauty-sierra version and then some call the Aero an elegant beauty--from a different manufacturer.

"sierra" is very confusing and encompasses some GREAT designs and some that "rattle".

Last edited:

randywa

I'll probably get hate mail, but I can't stand the click Sierras. It drives me nut for a the click parts to rattle when I write. The twists are nice to use, especially with a gel refill. My big bit*h with Sierras is that the upper and lower bands don't match. What's worse is I made them for 2 years before a customer pointed it out to me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll probably get hate mail, but I can't stand the click Sierras. It drives me nut for a the click parts to rattle when I write. The twists are nice to use, especially with a gel refill. My big bit*h with Sierras is that the upper and lower bands don't match. What's worse is I made them for 2 years before a customer pointed it out to me.

I BELIEVE Smitty has a version where the upper and lower decoration are the same. There are so MANY versions of this pen that you can find one for nearly ANY taste, if you try.

Joe Burns

Ive turning 6 sierra elegant beauties for women's Christmas gifts this year that I have Bethlehem Olive Wood for the blanks. They write and feel well in the hand. My wife prefers them to the Jr. Gents.

76winger

Although the Sierra/Elegant beauty/Gatsby pens are heavier as pointed out, they have a smooth taper and nice feel when holding. For a ballpoint, they're really nice to hold and use.

I got some Aeros once, thinking they were the same as the Sierras - not the same - they use smaller tubes. Nice pens and the ladies like them, but if you've pre-drilled for Sierra pens, they won't fit on the Aero tubes.

Haynie

I talked to Ed and he is a wealth of info. What a swell guy to take time out of his saturday to help someone he does not know.

Now to decide. I like the Platinum elegant beauties.

Top Bottom