Choosing a Lathe, where to buy, and setting up shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBAB

I have been reading a lot and quite frankly am a little overwhelmed. What is everyone's opinion on which lathe to go with? I would like to set up shop in my basement. I have more than enough room. I am thinking bench mount lathe (I see most people have JET), drill press, and a bandsaw. I have a table saw but I am thinking a bandsaw would be better. My biggest worry is dust collection, however, I think I can get that under control pretty easy. Also, where are good places to buy?
Thanks to everyone. I am simply amazed at everyone pictures on here. I am also amazed as to how helpful everyone is.
Thanks again,
Jesse:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Which lathe you get will depend on what your needs are now, and what you anticipate
they will be later on.
Will you be turning just pens? Pens and bowls? Table legs? Wood? Plastics? Stone? Metal?
Might be best to sit down with a pen and paper to list your needs first.
Then you can start narrowing the list of lathes according to what will meet those
needs. Once you've done that, it becomes a bit easier to handle. Some people find
that if space is at a premium, they need one lathe to cover everything. Others find that
they can dedicate one lathe for smaller items (pens, calls, etc.) and another one for
the larger items like bowls.
Once you've narrowed that down, you can think about possible accessories you'll
need, and which lathes will handle those. Makes it much easier to decide that way!

StatProf

Watch CraigsList and wait. I got a Jet 1442 for $800 with 8 high end tools, 3 mandrels, a Oneway Talon chuck and a ton of blanks. I sold a bunch of the stuff b/c I already had it, so the lathe cost me about $200. Economy is bad, so a lot of people are getting rid of stuff for cheap.

Daniel

For small turning the Jet is the favorite around here. Remember that going with something that is common has a lot of side benefit. The people here will be able to help you keep it going later. Yeah I know you don't want to hear about your new shiny lathe not working but it happens.

woodale

I have a Rikon mini for pens and other small work. I am extermely happy with it. Started with a Powermatic 45, after 9 months of rehab (the lathe, not me) and found it was just too big for most things. You are right about the bandsaw, it will be much more useful than the table saw.
My only real advice is to prioritize your order of purchases first. Budget as much as possible for each tool, then spend a little more.
My first shop was in a basement. Make certain that you know how big your entry is BEFORE you buy anything big, know how to disassemble it, and have at least one patient friend with you when you bring it home!
Have fun,
Dale

amosfella

If all you want to do is make pens, the taig is a great lathe. If you get a bigger lathe like a jet, get a 4 jaw chuck with spigot jaws, and a jacob's chuck. You can do almost all the drilling you would ever have to do on the lathe, and it will be more accurate.....

For the taig, you will have the metalworking option which you will find comes in quite handy. Parts for the taig are good quality, and relitavely inexpensive at the same time. Plus it have the asset of being wholely made in the USA.....

wizical

Like most things people have said around here, it truly depends on what you are going to be making. I make a variety of things and truly enjoy the lathe i purchased. I bought a Nova DVR and couldnt be happier.

The one thing i learned from my mentor is "you cannot buy a lathe that is too big"

if you buy a small lathe, you are limited to what you can make on it. You do also have to consider space and the ability to get it into your basement shop.

A table saw would be more accurate than a bandsaw, but you have to go with what space you have in your work area.

Good Luck with what you do.

talbot

Your choice is almost limitless but do try to think ahead about what turning you'll want to have a go at.
It's almost certain you'll end up wishing you'd got a bigger lathe, one with swivel head for larger bowls etc etc.
If I had to choose one feature above all that I wouldn't wish to part with it would be electronic variable speed. I find that feature such an assett both in penturning and the larger stuff as well.
Yes its easy changing belts up and down a set of pulleys but with variable speed its there at the twist of a dial.. that would be a must have on my list.
Also, get a quality brand if your budget permits, with lathes, low cost often equates to low quality unless you find a s/h bargain .
regards, Bill

Rifleman1776

Advice so far very good, particularly what Daniel said.
My two cents is: decide what you want to turn then factor in your budget and shop around.
If small items are going to be your only thing, the selection is wide. This forum is practically worship and praise center for the Jet mini but there are many others. Do check out the new Grizzly mini and midi lathes. Great machines and, possibly, the best dollar value on the market today.

fyrcaptn

which lathe

I'd suggest you find a local turner and talk with them. Not to hear them rant about their lathe, but to see what they do and how. I know people that do knots with a bandsaw, table saw, and hand saw. I've tried all three and I've had it with knots (for now).
Read and read and read, watch videos, ask yourself questions and honestly answer them.
What do you want, what do you need, what are you going to make, how often, how big, is this something you might tire of quickly.
If you have no interest in spindle turning, a lathe with table extension is wasted. If all you want are pens or bottle stoppers, a mini should fill the bill. If you want bowls your grandkids can use as canoes, something like a Stubby would be a good place to start.
The kids could use a mini in the bowl some lathes can handle. There's a lot in between.

I usually suggest to people that they get the best quality tool they can afford that will do the job they want. What is quality is like asking what the best sandwich is - everyone has their answer. Peanut butter and damson plum jelly is hard to beat - unless you are allergic to peanuts!
I have three lathes. The old delta I got 25 years ago that I just can't part with (my son seems to have taken it over), the Jet mini I bought my wife, and the Jet 1442. Any of the three -or any of dozens of others - could be the perfect lathe for you- maybe.
If I had the money I'd get a oneway or powermatic but the ones I drooled over were in the $5000 range argh! not gonna happen on this fireman's income. I want to turn larger bowls. My lathe limits my size a bit but I'm happy with it.
I could have gotten a nova for the same price as my Jet, but I like the mass and weight of the Jet. They both had similar motors, and could turn simliar size pieces. Also having the Jet mini I can use the same chuck on both lathes. I'd never heard of ShopFox at the time (that's changing) and nothing else was available very close.
I started to get my last lathe at a woodcraft store. It is over an hour drive and we were in her car, stopped in and found "a deal". We came home to get my buggy and trailer, and I checked Jet's website and found a local dealer who had a regular price less than woodcraft's sale price. Not a lot less, but the hour drive one way with gas over $4 a gallon and my 12 mpg (without the trailer) helped sway me. I'm loyal- but to myself and family first. The place in town had it in stock and helped me set it up for free. No big deal but I wasn't sure for a bit.
Ask 100 turners the best lathe and you may not get 100 answers, but they'll have 500 reasons, 450 of which are personal opinions - which matter to each of them I'm sure!
Be sure of what you want. Used lathes are posted often on craigslist.com (not an endorsement- us at your own risk) They have deals and sometimes not so much.
Spend some time before you jump into something you might not want.
Hope this helped.

Top Bottom