Cholla Cactus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

4x4redneck

I was thinkin about ordering some cholla cactus to make a couple of pens out of and i wanted some help and some advice on how to do it fillers and finishes for it. And just to be clear i cant get in trouble with laws or anything for makin one of these can i.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

No problem with the laws unless you try and pick the wood/cactus up in either a State or Federal park, or forest then there is lots of problems. Not sure about fillers, I'd say just use PR or Alumilite. find small branches not much over 5/8ths and smaller for slimlines and small pens, My SIL is working on one now the I think is nearly going to be solid resin the Cholla looks about 3/4 on the inside, but I might be whacked out, been a wild day. the one's I've seen are pretty, I used to collect it for a friend when I lived in New Mexico, but we don't got none of that stuff here all we got is large doses of DUMB finish should be easy just let the cholla soak up a bunch of thin CA it'll also help with the shine if you use Alumilite.

seawolf

I have made a few cholla pens. I start with a piece a little longer than the tube. Then I take a piece of dowel about 8 inches long and cut it down the center about 1 1/2 inches. Put a piece of 200 grit adhesive sanding pad in the slot in the dowel. Roll up the piece of pad until it has a snug but not tight fit. Put other end of dowel in a drill or lathe chuck; turn at slow speed while holding cholla. Pull the cholla off the dowel and check the fit often, When the tube fits snug put a small drop of thin CA in each hole. Gently trim the ends. I generally turn the cholla to just over size then fill the holes one at a time with embossing powder then CA. (Warning the embossing powder and CA will get smoking hot) when all holes are full turn to size and apply your favorite finish.
DO NOT TRY TO DRILL THE CHOLLA IT WILL FLY TO PIECES. DAMHIKT
Other methods of filling in the holes may be used, this is just my way.
Mark

bruce119

I am gearing up on a sale and a complete tutorial with tons of photos and how to do's. I got a few hundred Cholla Cactus and about 6 different ways of doing a successful inlay. I was going to offer say about 5 cholla blanks some inlay material maybe some crushed turquoise, crushed coral and maybe some pearlesant pigments. I spent a bunch of time gearing up for this I'm not quite ready. I need about another week or so. I worked out about 5 or 6 ways to do the inlays without casting. casting is best and easiest.

I will post latter on.

Top Bottom