Chiyogami-Yuzen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

Hello,

I have a question that hopefully someone might be able to help out with.

I am wanting to make my mother-in-law a Majestic set for Christmas, the set would consist of a Jr. Majestic roller ball and a Majestic letter opener. Since she is Japanese I would like to use Chiyogami-Yuzen blanks, the problem that I am having is that I cannot find one for the letter opener. The only 2 places that I know of selling these blanks are Exoticblanks and The Classic Nib.

If anyone knows of any place that sells these blanks, or knows of someone that I can custom order a blank from could you please help me out?

Thanks,

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Bill, I will ask my supplier if she has any letter opener tubes and if so I can have hr make you a set. If not do you have any that you can supply us?

builtbybill

Bill, I will ask my supplier if she has any letter opener tubes and if so I can have hr make you a set. If not do you have any that you can supply us?

Roy,

Thanks so much for helping out. I do not currently have any tubes, but if this is possible then I can purchase the opener and send the tube. It is a 12.5mm tube 2-3/8" long, 1/2" longer than the upper tube of the Jr. majestic.

plantman

Bill; I have made quite a few Chiyogami-Yuzen style pens. This is the way I do it. Go to "the paper store " website and look under Japenese papers for a wide selection of designs. You can order sample sizes for $1.25 each and, depending on the pattern, you can make 2-4 pen blanks with each. If you cast your own blanks just cut out the pattern and glue directly to the tube, than cast over the design. If you don't want a straight seam on your pen, buy a scrapbooking sizzers that cuts wavy or odd shaped edges. If you don't cast yet, cut out your design so it is just a little smaller than your fittings are round. Now turn any piece of scrap wood about 10/1000s under this size. Apply your paper to the blank with Modge Podge so it seals both the wood and the paper. Finish with CA to the size of your fittings. I have also done this with Polymar Clay. Make your blank, bake, turn, and cover with paper, or cut out designs to apply to the clay. Finish with CA. Here is a photo of one I have done. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0034 (335x640).jpg
    DSCF0034 (335x640).jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0035 (269x640).jpg
    DSCF0035 (269x640).jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Link Please

Can you give the link to the paper store. I searched and came up with one that is called thepaperstore.com but it did not have any Japenese papers. And the others I found all sold in huge sizes. 24 by 36 inches which would make a heck of a lot of pens. Thanks in advance.

Bill; I have made quite a few Chiyogami-Yuzen style pens. This is the way I do it. Go to "the paper store " website and look under Japenese papers for a wide selection of designs. You can order sample sizes for $1.25 each and, depending on the pattern, you can make 2-4 pen blanks with each. If you cast your own blanks just cut out the pattern and glue directly to the tube, than cast over the design. If you don't want a straight seam on your pen, buy a scrapbooking sizzers that cuts wavy or odd shaped edges. If you don't cast yet, cut out your design so it is just a little smaller than your fittings are round. Now turn any piece of scrap wood about 10/1000s under this size. Apply your paper to the blank with Modge Podge so it seals both the wood and the paper. Finish with CA to the size of your fittings. I have also done this with Polymar Clay. Make your blank, bake, turn, and cover with paper, or cut out designs to apply to the clay. Finish with CA. Here is a photo of one I have done. Jim S

builtbybill

I have plans to begin casting and/or stabilizing in the future (hopefully begining of next year). But right now I am in the middle of selling one house and buying another, and as soon as we move in I need to build a workshop so money will be tight for a while. This will give me the whole winter to study up on what the best approch will be to get started in this endeavor. So for now I just need to get the one blank custom made, hopefully that will not cost as much as a pressure pot and some resin:biggrin:.

builtbybill

Top Bottom