Chittum Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwfish

I saw a post a while back about chittum (smoke tree) and mentioned to my Mom in Huntsville Alabama to be on the lookout for some. Being the amazing women she is, she went on the hunt and found a source in Tennessee. She surprised me with these two blanks. Looking for recommendations on what kit to use, one will be a thank you gift for Momma.
View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I would spread some thin CA glue on one side (one of the sides that are "up" in the pic).

See what it looks like and then make your decision from there.

Does not have to be CA glue .... just whatever finish you plan to use.

Don't worry ... if it doesn't look nice you'll be turning it off anyway.

To show off the burl eyes to advantage you'll want a fair sized pen, such as a Jr Statesman, or similar ... just my opinion.

Last edited:

jcm71

Ask your Mom what size pen she likes to use. If you have some in inventory, let her try some out to see which ones feel best in her hand, and go from there. On a personal level, I don't use Chittum on ballpoints; only higher end rollerballs and fountain pens.

rwfish

Thanks for the suggestions, I will post the results. Will be ordering several kits to practice with, I dont want to mess these up, and the highest end pen I have done to date were just Sierras! Jr. Statesman is on my short list.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Look at the triton, made by Berea and compare it with the Jr. Statesman. There is somewhat less ornamentation on the triton, but the price is about half the jr statesman.

Tube diameters are the same

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
When I saw the blanks, I also thought... Triton. But also consider the Jr Anthony. They both will work well with the blank colors (same vendor :wink:).

Beware though... These two kits are VERY nice, yes a bit more expensive, but you will appreciate the quality. It is hard to go back in quality once your turning skills get refined. For $5.00 more for a special gift... easy choice.

Consider coating the inside of the blank with CA after drilling, before you glue in the tube, as well as several times during turning. This is easy, and will avoid some issues if you suspect the blank may have voids. Others may have additional suggestions.

Looks like some fine blanks.

Have FUN!

Talltim

Phil,

Every time I see those two pens it strikes me that those are two of the nicest pens I've ever seen. To me they are the perfect hardware and Blank combination.

In my opinion the statesman and the junior statesman are just classy.

Last edited:

Maverick KB

Most of the time, Chittum will not need stabilization for a pen project. Occasionally there are pieces that will benefit. Like any burl, use very sharp tools and go slow. You won't want a blowout or tearout to ruin your day!

If you ever want some advice or need any more Chittum, stabilized or not, let me know. I've got a 5 gal bucket of scraps next to me and ample stock in blanks. I might be slightly obsessed with it... I've got a whole burl sealed and drying now that I intend on getting a few pool cue blanks from. I'd love to trade several blanks for a finished cue to give my father in law as a gift. He's very much in love with the game.

Maverick KB

Some eye candy for you. [emoji6]

e82b1efe239af3d8a8d9ca3c0a15bbc0.jpg
4649ec7dab9eb303d103c611ddab0af1.jpg
0f84ee058f6aa2eed96548b0f1edf338.jpg
7bed6ffb13a54d98010086f3969d31c3.jpg
b28e866e2ea87065aaa9b96f4f13a982.jpg

http://shedlifellc.com/

Top Bottom