Chittamwood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I'm looking for some Chittamwood burl. I had a couple of pieces I got from a local woodworker and was able to get a full sized Statesman out of one and a Jr out of the other. After swearing I'd sell neither I gave in to money and sold the Statesman to a Collector. I'm definitely not selling the Jr.
Anyway I'd like to find some more and so far no luck. The guy I got the original from has moved out of the country and although a couple of folks I've come across swears they have "truckloads" they never come through.
I'd be willing to trade or buy if anyone has or knows where I could get some.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

Good luck on getting some more. You are in the right area though.They say it comes from around the Huntsville area. I have some and just cant part with any myself after I too sold a little and sent a piece to Australia with a pen made of it during a pen swap. Great wood and to me the best burl I have seen.

DSallee

What does it look like? Just the name sounds like fun. Do I ask for chittamwood?

Here ya go....

chittum%20small.jpg

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/chittum.htm

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mike, if this is the Biblical Chittam (spelling may be different with an "S" instead of a "C") wood your are referring to, I've been looking for some for the past several years. If you locate some please let me know also.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is what you are looking for. Good luck!

Cotinus obovatus

Rich yellow burlwood turning slightly darker in color with age. Fine grained with curl and eye figure.

This root burr from the American Smoketree, part of the cashew family, was once used for making a yellow dye. The figured wood is all from the root. This wood, truly one of the rarest in the world and unknown outside of the US, grows in and around limestone formations and often must be chiseled or blasted out of the rock that surrounds it.

mick

Lou, That's it...and that's exactly why it's so hard to get. Our Decatur home is about 20 miles from one of the only places in Alabama where it grows, Monte Sano Mountain. ....Chittamwood I can get more of that ....it's the burl that's so very rare.

Mannie, It's a different wood, Acacia or Shittam which is mentioned in the Bible. If I recall correctly the Ark of the Covenant was made from it.

I'm not giving up, I know several that own land in the area and hope they'll let me look around.....lol

I'll post pictures of the two pens I've made from it as soon as I convince Connie to take the pictures!

Last edited:

Dario

Mick,

I have a couple pieces left but cannot part with them (sorry).

A couple years ago, I was working a deal with a guy (can't recall his name now) at SawMill Creek who claims has thousands of Chittam burl pen blanks. I backed out after hearing his asking price which, if I recall properly, was asking $25.00 per blank. Try posting at SMC, he might contact you.

Other people who uses it are knife makers so check their forums as well.

Good luck!!!

vick

Mike, if this is the Biblical Chittam (spelling may be different with an "S" instead of a "C") wood your are referring to, I've been looking for some for the past several years. If you locate some please let me know also.

Monty the S spelled version mentioned in the bible is Hebrew for Acacia. As far as I know it is not known the exact species of Acacia they are reffering to.

YORKGUM

I'm looking for some Chittamwood burl. I had a couple of pieces I got from a local woodworker and was able to get a full sized Statesman out of one and a Jr out of the other. After swearing I'd sell neither I gave in to money and sold the Statesman to a Collector. I'm definitely not selling the Jr.
Anyway I'd like to find some more and so far no luck. The guy I got the original from has moved out of the country and although a couple of folks I've come across swears they have "truckloads" they never come through.
I'd be willing to trade or buy if anyone has or knows where I could get some.
Mike

Just found some here.

http://exoticblanks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=74&Itemid=60

RedViking

Chittum burl

Here's some from my collection. I've accumulated quite a bit bit. I couldn't upload the pictures I really wanted to show everyone. It's my favorite burl.

Attachments

• 20180923_175523.jpg
    20180923_175523.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20180924_000214.jpg
    20180924_000214.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 163
Top Bottom