Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What handle length do you prefer for your chisels?

• Short (< 12")

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Medium (> 12" & < 18")

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • Long (> 18")

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snowb46

This is for those who have been turning for a while.

Do you prefer short or long handle chisels? I realize it's a preference, so whats the consensus?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When I first started turning I ordered a set of small sized tools... at the time it made perfect sense to get the small tools to go along with my small lathe. Well, in time I ordered my first full sized tools (a 1-1/4" skew and a 3/8" bowl gouge) and then I realized that the smaller tools were not a very good investment.

I find that with the larger tools I have less issues vibrations or chatter and the longer handles really improve tool control and you also get more leverage. You also have more options to adjust your grip to cut down on fatigue when spending long sessions at the lathe.

I guess one could argue the point that if you're doing small projects (such as pens) then small tools are fine, but I do plenty of small diameter spindle projects with my full sized tools, and I personally can't see any benefit in using mini or micro tools for turning pens or spindles.

All that said, if you're turning the inside of small boxes or bowls, then sometimes the little tools do come in handy.

Wildman

Depending upon use of gouge or chisel determines length of handle for me. Of course, how you hold the tool and body movement while turning can dictate length of handle too.
I have both long and short handle tools. My narrow parting tools a 3" handle, heavy-duty scrappers and bowl gouges have 16" to 17" handles. Spindle gouge handles run 10" to 14".

Have an assortment of tools that came handled and unhandled. I make handles out of any wood have on hand, and tend to be thicker than those you get when buying tools. I do not have big hands, just a tool control and comfort thing for me.

KenBrasier

For me, it depends on what I am turning. My chisels, skews and gouges range from 8" to over 20". When I get down to the nitty-gritty of finishing I use the shorter mini ones, but always start out with the longer ones. Nothing scientific about it, just what feels comfortable to me.

DurocShark

You can always choke up on a long handle. You can't hold on to air with a short handle when you need the leverage.

Always go with longer handles if possible.

snowb46

:)Thanks everyone who participated in the thread. There was some great input as to why people chose what they use.

Top Bottom