Which chisels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

I'm using full-size chisels for pen-turning because they were cheap at HF when I bought my lathe. But they're a little unwieldy for small work and after turning several pens, I feel like smaller chisels would be better. I see three options:
1. Standard HSS chisels;
2. Standard chisels with carbide tips (like the 3 pc set from PSI for $59); or
3. Interchangeable carbide tips which usually have a square tip for roughing and a round tip for finishing.

I'm looking for pros/cons on these options from all you experienced folk. I expect to turn a lot of non-wood (acrylic, trustone, M3, etc.)

thx, rink.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Did you buy the red handled harbor freight set? They are excellent for the money.

They are mid sized tools. I think the right size for pens. The carbide tools are about the same size.

I have the sorby micro set as well. They only see occasional use.

I use three tools for turning pens. Really only three and I use all three daily for pens.

1.- wide spindle gouge (roughing blanks to round - and then some for some blanks.)
2. - oval skew. Love love love it.
3. - easy pen turner carbide tool. The go to tool for acrylics after rounded. In my limited experience with them, I can round an acrylic blank much faster with the big spindle gouge than the carbide. After round or close to it, it's mint.

For fragile wood burls, I pick the skew over the carbide.

Rink

They are light colored handles, about 12 inch or so. I've been knocking the corners off the blanks on the belt sander before turning...way faster than turning the corners off. Gets the blank to about 75% round. Tried a skew couple times...didn't work so well, need way more practice with that.

Dan Masshardt

They are light colored handles, about 12 inch or so. I've been knocking the corners off the blanks on the belt sander before turning...way faster than turning the corners off. Gets the blank to about 75% round. Tried a skew couple times...didn't work so well, need way more practice with that.

I guess that set may be passable but the red handles are the ones to get. At this point, just buy the tools you need, I'd say.

Get the carbide. Whether or not you use it exclusively, you will likely use it often. Get one with a replaceable cutter.

If its that much quicker using the belt sander, you aren't using a roughing gouge /'heavy spindle gouge correctly. I used to take the corners off on a belt sander. Now I consider it pointless. Others might disagree.

Oval skew is much easier to learn than the regular skew - IMO anyway. Regular skew is a great tool as well.

I've been using the Benjamin's best oval skew from psi. Cheap and I only ever use a diamond hone to keep it sharp.

Start hitting up YouTube on tool technique and sharpening skills.

edstreet

First, there is not enough space to detail all the questions you ask :)

A chisel will only perform to the level at which it is sharpened regardless of what it is made from!

I'm using full-size chisels for pen-turning because they were cheap at HF when I bought my lathe. But they're a little unwieldy for small work and after turning several pens, I feel like smaller chisels would be better. I see three options:
1. Standard HSS chisels;
2. Standard chisels with carbide tips (like the 3 pc set from PSI for $59); or
3. Interchangeable carbide tips which usually have a square tip for roughing and a round tip for finishing.

I'm looking for pros/cons on these options from all you experienced folk. I expect to turn a lot of non-wood (acrylic, trustone, M3, etc.)

thx, rink.

If you are wanting to know HSS vs carbide that is a very treacherous topic and and must tread carefully.

Carbide tips is designed for metal use but managed to find it's way to wood turning. There are also some applications where they cause more problems than not. Some will even tell you they contain magic properties and you never need to sharpen then, which to is not true. Everything wears out over time and use which means they are not an excuse to not know how to sharpen.

As for size goes you will find the longer the chisel the more stable it is. Depending on what you are turning you do want something stable. One of my gouges is fairly small but it's one of the longest chisels that I have and it is superb.

I would suggest that you get a few chisels to finishing work. That way they will last longer and need less upkeep. Fact is a chisel sharp enough to round the blank is not the same level of sharpness needed to do the final trim and detail work.

A sharp high carbon chisel will out perform a dull carbide tip chisel any day of the week. The reverse is also true, A sharp carbide tip will out perform a dull high carbon chisel. Factory sharp is a contradiction in terms :) Think of them more as somewhat properly shaped vs being sharp.

Bottom line here is this, it really does not matter what the material is. What does matter is how sharp is it and how you use it.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/sharp-japanese-waterstones-111876/

Did you buy the red handled harbor freight set? They are excellent for the money.

They are mid sized tools. I think the right size for pens. The carbide tools are about the same size.

I have the sorby micro set as well. They only see occasional use.

I use three tools for turning pens. Really only three and I use all three daily for pens.

1.- wide spindle gouge (roughing blanks to round - and then some for some blanks.)
2. - oval skew. Love love love it.
3. - easy pen turner carbide tool. The go to tool for acrylics after rounded. In my limited experience with them, I can round an acrylic blank much faster with the big spindle gouge than the carbide. After round or close to it, it's mint.

For fragile wood burls, I pick the skew over the carbide.

I recently made up an epic sharp finishing oval skew and sent it to Ed at exotics for him to try it out. Maybe he will chime in and give some info about his experience with something that sharp. It was very sharp, like 10,000 grit sharp. Which means you really do not need to use sandpaper after using the chisel.

How about a chisel that could go from square to round in 1 maybe 2 passes? (one pass being left to right and back to the start)

Last edited:

NotURMailman

Rather than start a new threadI thought I would ask here, since it is related. I have not been at this long and have only used the EasyWood carbide tools. If Someone was to buy a roughingg gouge just to round blanks, what would they get? The numbers and sized confuse me. The have "sweep numbers" and sizes? Also, is a roughing gouge something that will need frequent sharpening? I currently have no sharpening tools, as i have been using tools with replaceable tips. Thanks!

edstreet

a roughing gouge is essentially a half round chisel with a utility edge, that is an edge with a broad angle to hold up to heavier abuse and impact.

roughing-gouges-%5B2%5D-1644-p.jpg

Yes they to need sharpening from time to time, along with every chisel type on the market today.

kovalcik

The trouble with carbide tools is that a lot a people get them and then do not put the time into learning how to use the regular HSS tools. Carbides have there uses and are easy to start with, but a sharp skew (used well) will give a a much better finish and is much more versatile for other turning projects if you decide to do more than pens.

From your comments, I don't think the size of the tools are the problem. I think you just need to practice more and become used to them. If you do not have them already I would buy a 1/2" roughing gouge and a 3/4" or 1" skew (PSI Ben's Best brand are ok). Learn to sharpen them (this is just as important as practicing) and sharpen often. Cut up pieces of 2x4 into pen blank sized blanks and practice a lot. You can put them between centers or drill a 1/4" hole in them and use a pen mandrel.

NotURMailman

The trouble with carbide tools is that a lot a people get them and then do not put the time into learning how to use the regular HSS tools. Carbides have there uses and are easy to start with, but a sharp skew (used well) will give a a much better finish and is much more versatile for other turning projects if you decide to do more than pens.

From your comments, I don't think the size of the tools are the problem. I think you just need to practice more and become used to them. If you do not have them already I would buy a 1/2" roughing gouge and a 3/4" or 1" skew (PSI Ben's Best brand are ok). Learn to sharpen them (this is just as important as practicing) and sharpen often. Cut up pieces of 2x4 into pen blank sized blanks and practice a lot. You can put them between centers or drill a 1/4" hole in them and use a pen mandrel.

Don't know if you were talking to me, but I'll pretend you were, LOL!

I agree with the comment about carbide tools. I made a conscious decision to start with them and learn the basics of turning and pen making and then learn to use and sharpen chisels.

I haven't had any problems with chisels, because I haven't started using them yet. I was simply asking for a recomendation of size, etc to buy for pen making.

I figured learning one thing at a time would be easier then all at once :)

kovalcik

NotURMailman,
Comments were directed to Rink. Just went back to see your original post.

In my opinion anything from a 3/4" to a 1" roughing gouge can be used for pens easily. I don't know about a sweep #. I just went to PSI and bought mine and they only gave the size. It may refer to how far back the wings are ground back from the nose. Not real critical for a roughing gouge IMO.

I sharpen mine a lot. Usually before I start every pen. They are easy to sharpen with a Wolverine style jig. Takes less than a minute. Bought my jig from eddietcastelin.com for about 1/3 the cost. He calls it the Blackhawk Sharpening System.

Hope this post is more useful to you than my other one.

Here is the link for the 1" from PSI: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX260.html

It is the most used chisel I own.

Last edited:

Drb007

I use a sharp oval skew from start to finish. Just one tool. I know how to use the others but just prefer the skew.
I got my daughter a carbide easy penturner tool, and it sure does make the work go fast. I admit I like it. She's not a fan of it. She's much more comfortable with the skew.

Alzey

My New Years resolution this year was to learn the skew. I have the red handle harbor freight set but the white handle set is just a different assortment of tools. The skew is wider than my grinder so I use my bench top belt sander to shape the tool. When I feel the tool getting dull, I touch up the edge with a diamond hone. 10 quick passes on each side and I'm back in business. You don't need a grinder to have sharp tools. Basic flat stone or thick piece of glass with sandpaper on it is all you need. You are looking for a sharp durable edge, not a razor sharp edge for most work. A razor sharp edge will allow you skip some sanding.

The skew is now my go to tool for smoothing a blank and cutting beads. I seldom use my carbide tools anymore and I find then too aggressive and damaging to the blank.

I still use my long handled carbide tool on some bowl work because I haven't quite got the bowl gouge figured out yet.

joefrog

Don't know if you were talking to me, but I'll pretend you were, LOL!

I agree with the comment about carbide tools. I made a conscious decision to start with them and learn the basics of turning and pen making and then learn to use and sharpen chisels.

I haven't had any problems with chisels, because I haven't started using them yet. I was simply asking for a recomendation of size, etc to buy for pen making.

I figured learning one thing at a time would be easier then all at once :)

I'm in the same boat, unfortunately! I got addicted to the "Easy" tools with the replaceable tips, and really never learned how to sharpen well. A couple licks on the diamond stone is about all I do.

Top Bottom