Chisel sharpening????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What types of griners does any one use and what method,i.e.
Do you use a jig?
By eye?
How many use a stone for touch ups?
Anyone use a belt sander?
I picked up a slow speed wet dry grinder at Harbor Freight because I have a tendency to make my metal"Blue":(
So far I have been sharpening by eye with mixed results.Right now I can't afford another grinder or the "W" jig.:(
I guess eventually I'll make my own.
Interested in hearing what methods others use,also how long you've been turning pens.In other words how many like me have just started and don't have a jg for sharpening but after a while moved up to one.
How many old timers don't have a need for them.
I just started this addiction 2 months ago [:eek:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use a slow speed grinder I bought from Woodcraft on sale for $69.99 and the Wolverine jig.. no problems and as long as I do my part the tools are real sharp... just have to remember to occassionally redress the wheels.. but that only takes a couple of seconds...
The big part is to sharpen your tools before you actually realize they are dull... you need to anticipate the dullness... sounds weird, but it does make life easier.. LOL

paleydp

Same as Old Griz . . .slow speed grinder from Woodcraft (must have hit the same sale) and picked up the Wolverine at Rockler when they offered a nice discount. It's on a small bench/table next to my lathe - a single step away.

If you're handy with jigs, there are a couple of websites with detailed plans to make your own - do a Google search. (Don't have the links now, haven't transferred them from old hard drive yet). Also, search the archives, seems that someone provided a link to a homemade sharpening jig system not too long ago.

fmunday

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />What types of griners does any one use and what method,i.e.
Do you use a jig?
By eye?
How many use a stone for touch ups?
Anyone use a belt sander?
Delta
Yes and no
Eye and direction
Yes (if I think about it)[:)]
No
In a more understandable form. I use a Delta Slow Speed Grinder (1750 RPM) and have a Wolverine Jig that I use most of the time. For a lot of years I sharpened everything by hand with a stone or flat surface and 400 (and up) grit wet/dry. I like that edge better than the Wolverine but I don't have or can't afford the time usually. I've got a Crown Skew that I really like that will never see the Wolverine Jig. I determined that I would always do it by hand. I like the profile and the angle and want to keep it that way. I follow the instructions provided by One Way for the Wolverine Jig (except the grinder speed) when sharpening that way. For hand sharpening I (so far) work strictly by feel and eye. I've used some of the hand jigs in the past but was never that impressed with them although Veritas has one that has caught my eye and I may give it a try. Yes, I use the Diamond Stones if I happen to think about it, have them handy and don't want to stop and spend the 5 or 10 minutes to dress the edge with the Wolverine Jig. I don't use a belt sander to sharpen (or rough shape) tools with. I find them to be a bit too agressive for my tastes.
I picked up a slow speed wet dry grinder at Harbor Freight because I have a tendency to make my metal"Blue"[:(]
So far I have been sharpening by eye with mixed results.Right now I can't afford another grinder or the "W" jig.[:(]
My advice would be to also pick up one of the cheap turning tool sets that you can get from Harbor Freight and use those to practice/refine your techniques with. Always seems better to me to screw up on a piece of pine than on a piece of Amboyna Burl. I think that same reasoning can be applied to turning tools and sharpening. I've been told that Blue isn't a problem with HSS tools and I tend to agree. I haven't noticed any problems with ones that I have done that to. Red is another matter!!! I've been sharpening tools one way or another for roughly 40 years and I still get what I consider mixed results. My main test is the hair on my right arm. If I can shave it off with the tool then its sharp enough. There are web sites with plans for sharpening jigs that you might want to check out. I don't have the URLs handy but you should be able to find them with a Google search.
Hope this helps some. If I had the time, I would do a new topic on sharpening methods pros and cons and proceedures that everybody uses but I've got to get back to work. I'll look into doing that later tonight if one doesn't already exist.

Scott

I use a Jet grinder I picked up off of Ebay. It is regular speed, and I put a white wheel on it. I have a Wolvering jig, but I haven't set it up yet, so I currently just sharpen by hand. After a while you get better at it! I don't touch up with a stone, but probably should. I have not used a sander, but I know people who do and it works just fine. I think it is more important to sharpen than to worry about how you sharpen!

Good Luck!

Scott.

tipusnr

NOW I remember meeting Fred...he's the one with the forearms that alternate hair, bald spot, bandage!!
Just jealous Fred...really!

Seriously, I have the low speed grinder from Woodcraft as well with white wheels and a Wolverine jig. I do touch up my tools with diamond impregnated cards as I'm better with them than the grinder. Never thought of using a belt sander.

Still don't have the best edges on my tools but they work well with my technique (which isn't the best either) so am satisfied with where I am and believe both will improve with age.

Andy Ryan

Here is a guy that I have read his web site front to back and back to front. Here is his sharping system. I have not had the funds to make it, but want to.

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/widgets/grindingjig/grindjig.html

Randy

I also use the Wolverine jig on a 6" Jet grinder (can't afford an 8" yet). I have found that the tool rest is invaluable for sharpening chisels. Bought a friable white wheel and a diamond dressing tool to keep the stone clean and square. Alan Lacer website has some excellent articles on sharpening. http://alanlacer.com/Articles.html
I also like to hone my tools on a diamond plate between grindings. I find that I can touch up my skew in a few seconds and continue cutting with a very sharp edge. It has been a difficult tool to work with but it gives me a great finish and I do not have to sand much. AND I HATE SANDING.
Without the varigrind attachment on the Wolverine my grinding on gouges looked terrible and worse than than, they would not cut efficently. Not to mention unsafe. Any woodturner must have a reliable sharpening system. I would suggest you look around until you find a system you are confortable. I joined a woodturners club and the tips on sharpening that I have picked up are worth their weight in gold. It is also nice to go to other members shops and see how they sharpen their tools. I haven't been turning long but the key to enjoyable turning is SHARP tools that are correctly ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom