Chisel recommendations.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrBubblehead

As most of you know I'm fairly new here and have been upgrading my tools. Well in order to sweeten the deal for my used lathe I sold what chisels I had. They were junk that came with the mastercraft lathe.

So my question is this, what chisels would you guys recommend if I had an immediate budget of 100$CAD?

PSI LCHSS8 I have been eyeing up this set for 130$ on Amazon.its seems decent and is only slightly above budget.

Steelex d2228 53$ or this cheaper set for the time being.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

Not really knowing where the PSI LCHSS8 set is made I'd be dubious of where it was made for that price. Work out what chisels you use and buy just the ones required, get tools that are made of quality steel, otherwise you'll be sharpening more often. My first set of chisels cost me $35 AU, they were OK as a first set, learning to sharpen them very often. My next chisel (not chisels) cost me $105, but I could turn for several hours before needing a touch up, not several minutes.
Have you a decent grinder, as this is an important piece of equipment, with a good stone for tool steel.
Kryn

randyrls

Not really knowing where the PSI LCHSS8 set is made I'd be dubious of where it was made for that price.

Kryn; Around 2010? the AAW Journal reviewed many different tools from many manufacturers and rated the PSI surprisingly high in their review. I use some of the PSI tools and they are good basic quality tools. Members of AAW can access the exact issue and read the reviews.

Work out what chisels you use and buy just the ones required, get tools that are made of quality steel, otherwise you'll be sharpening more often.

Agreed! Just get what you need. The most used tools on my lathe for pens are 1/2" spindle gouge, and 1" skew.

Have you a decent grinder, as this is an important piece of equipment, with a good stone for tool steel.

If you have an 8" grinder, try to get a good sharpening jig (Wolverine) or make your own ala Captn Eddie Castelin. Be sure to get a diamond hone. I touchup the tool with the diamond hone about 10 times before I need to go back to the grinder.

Tip: Put a sticky back ruler on the bar of the jig and away from the locking handle. When sharpening the tool, sharpen and write the ruler measurement on the tool shaft. Next time, just set the bar to the same measurement. This setting will change over a long time, but it allows you to get repeatable results.

Last tip: Before grinding, color the tool bevel with a sharpy marker. You can see where the grinder is removing material.

Woodchipper

I have a set of Harbor Freight tools- set of 6 with red handles. They do a good job. You definitely need a low speed grinder for sharpening- that is a must for good turning. I have a Rikon grinder and a Wolverine jig. Surprising how good sharp tools cut! High speed grinders require a very light touch- I opted to get the low speed on recommendation of others on another forum. I also have the DMT three piece set of diamond hones for touch-up on the edge. The three items mentioned are from Woodcraft. I spend so much $$$ there that all the employees are driving new cars. lol

Wildman

For turning pens all you need are three turning tools skew chisel, spindle gouge, and a parting tool. Already said about buying individual tools versus set good advice, can always add tools as you need them. If looking for PSI tools, not sure why don't check out what available in CA first. Their are other vendors too, with economy and more expensive tools.

Jacques Coulombee Lt'ee
Benjamin's Best | Outils de tournage sur bois HSS M2 | M2 High Speed Steel woodturning tools

Benjamin's Best | LX010 | LX020 | LX030 | HSS Standard Skew Chisel HSS M2 High Speed Steel woodturning tools

Benjamin's Best | LX410, LX420, & LX430 Outils de tournage sur bois HSS M2 | M2 High Speed Steel woodturning tools

This vendor carries Thompson tools lot more expensive.
https://woodchuckers.com/

Turning Tools - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies

Paul in OKC

I agree with Bill. You will generally need two or three tools for pens. I only use a spindle gouge and a parting tool. Have a skew, but am generally askew with it :). For a grinder I use a 20+ year old cheap 6" grinder.

JimB

What will you be turning? If just pens then there are a lot of tools in that set you do not need. If you will turn other things, tell us what so we can recommend proper tools.

Also, what were your other tools and why do you think they were junk? I have many makes including Craftsman, PSI Benjamin's Best, Woodriver, Sorby, EWT Carbide and even a couple homemade ones made from Allen wrenches for small detail work. Obviously I have a wide range of brands and what many would consider low and high quality but really how well the tool works is determined by my sharpening skills and proper use of the tool. Yes, some of them require a bit more frequent sharpening then others but even the Allen wrench tools have a purpose and work perfectly for what I made them for.

Tim'sTurnings

For making pens and other small items I mainly use 4 chisels. I use a skew chisel, spindle gouge, PSI's Versa Chisel and occasionally a parting tool.
That's basically all I need and use for turning these small items. I switch around with different spindle gouges and skews when some get dulled but those are the main tools I use. Hope it helps in your gathering information.
Tim.

Curly

I would suggest you look closer to home before buying across the line. With your HST and the exchange the $100US becomes close to $160Can. If you buy out of province you can save the Provincial tax side unless the company has a presence in Nova Scotia. Here are a few place to start.

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/webstore/wecs.php?store=wood&action=category_view&target=8300

https://www.kmstools.com/woodworking-23000000/wood-turning-23110000/wood-turning-tools-23110500/

Les Outils Viel | Viel Tools ||| Manufacturier depuis 1978

In province.

Turning Tools - Lee Valley Tools

Woodworking - Wood Lathes - Wood Turning Tools - Page 1 - Busy Bee Tools

MrBubblehead

Thanks for all the input so far. I haven't had a chance to browse everything yet but I will.

I believe the chisels I had are trash because they are very soft and very small. I turned a piece of crosscut Yellowheart and it would just immediately round over the end of the spindle gouge.

Currently I am mostly doing pens and will likely turn a few bats now that I have a lathe large enough.

Yeah that exchange rate makes pens much more expensive to make in Canada.

Mr Vic

Think back on the set you sold. Which tools did you use the most? Which ones did you rarely on never use? Then spend a bit more per tool and get only the one you used. There is also no law that all the tools have to be the same brand.

I bought a 190 piece Craftsman tool set decades ago. I've probably only ever used maybe 15 of the pieces and that's a generous estimate.

JimB

When I started turning I turned pens start to finish with a roughing gouge. Since then I have turned pens start to finish with Spindle detail gouge or a skew. I've done the same with other small turnings such as bottle stoppers... one tool can do it all.

The brand of tools you choose will, in part, be determined by your budget. As long as they are HSS you will have success as long as you know how to sharpen them and use them. As I mentioned above I have many makes of tools. What I didn't mention was my first tools, bought 9 years ago, are from harbor freight. I still use them.

tomas

I use three tools almost exclusively...my PenPro with a 2" radius (almost square) carbide tip, my BowlPro (nice long handle) with a round carbide tip, occasionally my original parting tool. The carbide tips are easily sharpened with diamond Cards. The corners of the PenPro are excellent for roughing blanks and the shaping the rounded blank.

Tomas

Makereality

I bought the psi carbide set which came with interchangeable tips: one rounded, one slight curve, one flat, and a parting tool tip. I see the newer easy carbide tools and wish I got those,as a loosening of one screw you can simply rotate the washer like carbide tip and is brand new, some have curved alternating with flat sides. Rare actual Sharpening is just rubbing the blade upside down on a diamond hone like cleaning contacts.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

I buy $4 HSS long Tool bit blanks and cutters from a machinest supply and make handles from derlin or oak and epoxy in place , cost less $10 each and cut acrylics and ebonite far better then traditional wood tools , can also use HSS drill blanks or Allen keys and grind to shape for small work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom