Chisel advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

isaacrapelje

I am interested in purchasing a new set of chisels. Any recommendations? I read somewhere about a chisel set that was reasonably priced and worked well. Thanks, Isaac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Grizzly has several sets of tools in high speed steel a/k/a HSS at very reasonable prices. Here is one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9863
There are about six other sets on the same page in the catalog. Pg. 135.
I already had the catalog open from a similar discussion on a wood working forum I belong to. Common question.
Personally, I started out with an El Cheapo set and they worked OK. No complaints. But, now my big skew is an expensive Taylor (it was a gift) and there is a notable difference from soft steel to the HSS.

To start off, the steel in grizzly tools are no better than the steel in Taylor tools. IMOF the steel in Harbor Freight tools are about the same as Grizzly tools at about half the price.

I would suggest not buying a set, instead just purchase each tool you need as you need them.

I see that you have been a member since 2004, so I'm going to assume to already have some tools. Right now, the best steel on the market comes from Doug Thompson's line of tools. They are expense, I recently purchased a 5/8" bowl gouge from Doug, without a handle, for $70.

What sets Doug's tools apart from the rest is two fold.
1) He makes each tool himself
2) The way the tools are cryogenicly heat treated

What's the big deal about cryogenicly treated steel? Well that gouge I purchased, the edge lasted 20 time longer than the edge on my Sorby or Taylor gouges would last.

I'm a real stickler about using sharp tools.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Buy your self a good name brand set. Myself I use mostly Sorby and have a Lacer skew and a Ellsworth bowl gouge.

I know there are many that will say it doesn't matter as long as they are HSS and you keep them sharp. IMO it does! I started with a cheap set from a pawn shop, then bought the HF set, then eventually got the Lacer skew.First time I used the skew I knew had to replace all the cheapo's as quickly as I could afford it. For me the only purpose of the cheapo's is to learn how to sharpen them. Once you are comfortable with your ability to sharpen, get the good tools.
There is also nothing wrong with buying a set if you know you are going to use all the chisels that come in it. It does work out cheaper in the long run, but only if you use them all, otherwise you're better off buying individually as has been suggested.

Dario

I am with Ron. Buy the best piece you need the most. The ones you hardly use can be a cheap HF HSS tool. As Ron pointed, Doug Thompson has a cult like following among good turners (a lot of professionals) so you can't go wrong there if you can afford it.

I love Crown Pro PM tools but I read recent reviews of a fellow Crown ProPM lover (a professional who teaches classes and has tutorial DVD's) who said his Crown are almost no longer used since he bought Thompson's gouge. That is saying a lot. I respect and trust his take on this as well as countless testimonials at WoodNet and SawMill Creek.

If cost is no object, by all means, buy the best set because I too agree that there is a difference.

Originally posted by dalemcginnis

I started with a cheap set from a pawn shop, then bought the HF set, then eventually got the Lacer skew.First time I used the skew I knew had to replace all the cheapo's as quickly as I could afford it.

Lacer Skews uses 2060 steel and is way better than M2 steel which most turning tools are made.

Doug's tools are made from CPM 10V (A-11) steel.

Rifleman1776

Ron said, in part, "To start off, the steel in grizzly tools are no better than the steel in Taylor tools. IMOF the steel in Harbor Freight tools are about the same as Grizzly tools at about half the price."
OK, can't argue that because there is no way to prove/disprove which is better/worse. Actually, you have endorsed the Grizzly tools because six can be purchase for the price of one or one and a half Taylors. Same with HF, we really don't know. If they are the same quality as Griz, then, by your reasoning, they are the same as Taylor only a fraction of the price.
My recommending the Grizzly set is because, the set does include the most frequently used tools for most turners and the price is reasonable. For a beginner, it's hard to do better. Investing in something expensive then finding it not useful is a false economy and a huge disappointment.
I think his asking for "recommendations" was asking for various opinions. Mine is to get the middle ground HSS set.

Sfolivier

I know this thread isn't about beginner's set but I'm sure it will draw people who just want to hear about chisels so here's my take.

It's going to sound weird, but I've had good luck with Harbor freight tools. I got a set of 6 chisels for $37 at the time... Can't be beaten and they've been working like, well... M2 steel...

Oh, and the slow speed wet sharpening system from Harbor Freight allows me to keep them arm-shaving sharp with not too much problem.

Maybe, I'm just not good enough to see or appreciate the difference with more expensive tools (there certainly is one). Maybe I don't mind as much as other sharpening (or at least honing for 5 minutes) every 5-10 pens. I would at least always recommend them to anybody who's starting as a must have set (then you can always buy an expensive version of you favorite tool afterwards if you wish). Personally, I'd rather spend my money on a totally different chisels now (bowl scrappers, hollwing tools, etc..).

loglugger

I think the HF set is up to 39.95 at one time it was 29.95 but at that price it is a very good starting set. Have not had any experience with the Griz turning tools but I would think they are just as good as the HF. This is my opinion only.
Bob

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Ron said, in part, "To start off, the steel in grizzly tools are no better than the steel in Taylor tools. IMOF the steel in Harbor Freight tools are about the same as Grizzly tools at about half the price."
OK, can't argue that because there is no way to prove/disprove which is better/worse.

Of course there is Frank, just another one of your misconceptions.

Actually, you have endorsed the Grizzly tools because six can be purchase for the price of one or one and a half Taylors. Same with HF, we really don't know.

Don't put words in my mouth. What I said was grizzly tools are no better than Harbor Freight or Taylor. I own all three brands and they are all M2 steel. The only tool I endorsed was Doug Thompson's.

If they are the same quality as Griz, then, by your reasoning, they are the same as Taylor only a fraction of the price.

By my reasoning and by your price standards Harbor Freight would seem</u> like the best deal.

My recommending the Grizzly set is because, the set does include the most frequently used tools for most turners and the price is reasonable. For a beginner, it's hard to do better. Investing in something expensive then finding it not useful is a false economy and a huge disappointment.
I think his asking for "recommendations" was asking for various opinions. Mine is to get the middle ground HSS set.

As I said before, I wouldn't buy a set of tools, just single tools as I needed them.

There is something to be gained by buying a tool that is needs to be sharpen less, even if it cost 2-3 times the price.

I'll give you an example.
When I turn a 16" bubinga bowl I would need to sharpen a gouge 3-4 times before the bowl was complete. With Doug's gouge I was able to turn 5 bubinga bowls with a singe sharpening.

Sharpening less, means the tool lasts longer. I would have to wear out 15 to 20 bowl gouges before I wore out one of Doug's gouges. So where do you save money by buying a gouge that you have to sharpen more often?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

OK, can't argue that because there is no way to prove/disprove which is better/worse.

Of course there is Frank, just another one of your misconceptions.

Actually, you have endorsed the Grizzly tools because six can be purchase for the price of one or one and a half Taylors. Same with HF, we really don't know.

Don't put words in my mouth. What I said was grizzly tools are no better than Harbor Freight or Taylor. I own all three brands and they are all M2 steel. The only tool I endorsed was Doug Thompson's.

If they are the same quality as Griz, then, by your reasoning, they are the same as Taylor only a fraction of the price.

By my reasoning and by your price standards Harbor Freight would seem</u> like the best deal.

As I said before, I wouldn't buy a set of tools, just single tools as I needed them.

There is something to be gained by buying a tool that is needs to be sharpen less, even if it cost 2-3 times the price.

I'll give you an example.
When I turn a 16" bubinga bowl I would need to sharpen a gouge 3-4 times before the bowl was complete. With Doug's gouge I was able to turn 5 bubinga bowls with a singe sharpening.

Sharpening less, means the tool lasts longer. I would have to wear out 15 to 20 bowl gouges before I wore out one of Doug's gouges. So where do you save money by buying a gouge that you have to sharpen more often?

Interesting. You disagreed without giving points of disagreement. I restated what you said. Does that mean you don't agree with yourself? Sure looks that way. OK, I won't argue that. BTW, look at the related thread I started on tools.

GBusardo

Hi Issac,
I really do not know your situation, so its hard to recommend. Maybe you have a shelf full of chisels or maybe you have none. If you were/are like me, I started out with the HSS pen turners set of three from PSI. Then I went to Harbour Freight and got their HSS set. This turned out to be a good move for me because I learned to use the larger skew, a big plus. I also learned to do a better job sharpening and honing with out worrying that I was grinding away expensive steel. I then went on to buy a few Henry Taylor tools. With the tool I have, I see very little difference in the cut quality, as long as my tools are sharp! If your somewhat new and need to refine your sharpening skills, I would say get the cheapest HSS tools you can. If you are advanced in turning, then I would recommend you listen to someone who has far more experience than me!! :) Good luck, buying tools is always fun.

Top Bottom