Chirstmas Presents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlmort1980

Ok, I have had the idea to give my mother and father pens for there christmas gifts. They know that I make pens but I have never given them any. I am looking at good ideas to make for them, both ideas for kits and ideas for blanks. I am looking for both something nice and something new.
Thanks for your ideas....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ok, I have had the idea to give my mother and father pens for there christmas gifts. They know that I make pens but I have never given them any. I am looking at good ideas to make for them, both ideas for kits and ideas for blanks. I am looking for both something nice and something new.
Thanks for your ideas....

Hate to say this but you know your parents better than any of us do. Find a kit that fits their hands well and as far as materials maybe some label casting or something on that form and if you do not cast then some woods with a sentimental value such as a rose bush or a tree from the backyard. Or do something on their favorite colors. Sorry that is all I got.

Mark

I've given my in-laws several pens. The only one they use on a regular basis was the Hart twist I gave them, soon after I started turning. The Majestic, Wall Street and Cigar I've since given them, never get touched. Maybe too big, maybe they think they are too nice to carry around and use on a daily basis. IDK. Good Luck.

I'd say Keep it sentimental if possible.

ctubbs

My wife's Grand Mother passed a year ago last April. Before she died she had me take down the old plum tree in the back yard. For some reason I saved the wood from that tree. Once she was gone, I made pen and pencil sets for each of the grand and great grand children and their spouces. there was also a set made for the only child, my mother-in-law. I have received many thank yous for the thought and the actual pen sets.

If there is some special item they both share that can be either made into a pen or memorialized by casting into a pen, that would be a great gift. It will come from your heart straight to theirs. Think about it and have your wife think with you. I have found that my wife has better thoughts than I on this type of thing. YMMV
Charles

Sawzall

You could also look at turning something other than a pen or pencil such as a pen light, magnetic pick up pen, bracelet helper or bottle stopper. In the end it is the thought that counts. If you make something especially for them I would bet they will like it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"De-emphasize" new!

Anything you make is NEW to them. Find what they would like, size-wize--and, if you can use a tried and true mechanism, you are removing the chance of failure of their pens.

FWIW

(My parents are very religious, I send them Holy Land woods---)

PenPal

For your Mum and Dad,

What are your Dads firstly for no reason have as his passion besides Mum. EG does he have a main interest or occupation a favourite something or longing, theme the pen to that if he is a car freak make him a pen looks like a Spark Plug top half etc etc. If Mum is a dandy sewer get some hand painted wood beads square face and drill them, glue them shape the top, bottom ones etc etc.

Need Ideas scan under your query having done your research under search. If you like talk to me by pm I have done so many themed pens.

Next thought get those pens of the shelf with family scriptures etc by taking them out of your top pocket as you give them and say more than once as you use these pens think of me and that you love them sometimes we wait and memorialise rather than realise.

Case in point I repaired a priceless Jade Frog Aens old he chipped a tiny piece of dropped on a hard tiled floor for a Chinese friend and later made a pen put it in a lovely box,bang straight into his lifetime Jade collection in the safe.

Have success,

Regards Peter.

Top Bottom