Chipped my Pen, need a repair idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I turned my first Redwwod Burl today for a cigar pen, it's a fine looking pen blank. I have a problem though, with thenatural porosity of the burl I had a great deal of work to do in filling the void, I spent close to an hour turneinga nd filling with CA glue before I had a finsihed and ready for assembly blank. I always gently breat the edges of the wood prior to pressing the hardware with a 600 piece of parer and a gentle twist of the end of the tube. Well, the edge chipped off right at the pen nib prior to pressing, I can see brass as well.

I am not sure if I should remount the brass and turn off the red wood or try an epoxy repair, I am not sure what to do, can you give me a few ideas here please...the blank was really nice!!

Take care,
Jim

:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Jim,
Look at this listing for the fix. If you want to do this, remount the blanks, turn down to the brass, CA on a contrasting wood, and return. I've also used 5 minute epoxy to glue in a chip of wood. It's better than CA. Tint the epoxy and it will be invisible.

Rich

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1730

G

Sorry to hear about the OOPS!ONe of my first pens did that and I "saved" it by turning it off and adding a "complimentary piece.
It was in my case when I showed it to a prospective cusomer.
She ordered 2 more like it.
The subsequent two were a pain to duplicate.
If you sell it make sure it goes "one of a kind" uless you can recreate the "OOPS" easily.
A picture might give up an isea of teh extent of the damage and a possible solution.

Originally posted by low_48
<br />Jim,
Look at this listing for the fix. If you want to do this, remount the blanks, turn down to the brass, CA on a contrasting wood, and return. I've also used 5 minute epoxy to glue in a chip of wood. It's better than CA. Tint the epoxy and it will be invisible.

Rich

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1730

I would think a nice piece of ebony or black wood would look real nice with redwood burl.

Fred in NC

With burl and any other problem wood a very sharp tool is needed.

For this type of fix, to cut off the bad part, I first use the tip of a skew chisel to cut a little groove where the wasted part starts. I use the skew at an angle, so the shoulder is square. This helps prevent tearout later. The cut off the waste with a parting tool.

baldysm

Depending on the kit, you may also be able to get away with just sanding/pen milling the blank so that it is shorter. I have done this a few times and it works fine, provided the length is not critical.

dougle40

Jim ,
I've used the sawdust and CA trick many times and it works great . I would suggest that you apply the repair while the pen body is off the mandrel though , just so that you don't glue it onto your mandrel .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom