Chipped Acrylic blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sunami

I did my first acrylic fountain pen today and I chipped the end while turning it. So I had a scrap, I cut it back put the scrap on reshaped that piece, sealed the Crack with CA glue and finished, but the Crack is pretty visible not to mention the misalignment of the grains. Any thoughts on how I could have fixed this better? I didn't want to have to trash the whole kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20160124_162851.jpg
    IMG_20160124_162851.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Susan... I've never done that :eek::)!

I suspect you did the best you could. Maybe a totally solid color (Orange, Black ?). Instead of trying to hide the separation (impossible), eccentuate it it and use it as a design element - segmenting.

Possibly... Part a straight cut down to the brass tube. Glue a thin aluminum section (soda can, up to 1/4" thick), then a black, white or neutral color, or veneer, have the added segment extend beyond the tube. Take off the mandrel, sandwich it on a 1/4" bolt with washers and wax paper, then screw tight to glue overnight. Don't want to assume you have done this dozens of times..., but I use 2 part epoxy, set overnight and find something else to distract me!

That is how I do these: (veneer vs aluminum).

View in Gallery

chartle

I wouldn't have tried to match it but make the patch out something contrasting like you wanted it to look that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom