CHINABERRY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips n dust

Finally back on line after no power for a week due to Ivan. Trees down everywhere, white oak, maple, red oak and I also have a chinaberry tree down and wondered if it would be a good candidate for pen blanks. All I know is that it is a member of the mahogany family.
Thanks all.
Trevor

A day without sawdust is like a day without sunshine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Hey Trevor,

Maybe you should cut that Chinaberry up and send some to all the members so we could see if it is good enough for pens! [:D]

Seriously though, the only way to tell is to dry some and turn it.

woodspinner

Trevor
Yes it should be. I have turned it for bowls and it was great. Mine had great grain. The only thing that may be different is where I live. Mine came from AZ. and yours may be softer due to moisture.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I have no idea about how Chinaberry in AZ is different, but that in Florida will have pockets of rot. Individual trees may differ, but Chinaberry is a very rapid growth and soft wood that will start to rot as soon as the tree is old enough to start having heartwood. The problem is that the wood is so soft that you can't tell the difference until after it has dried.

You should be able to get pen blanks out of it, but large bowl blanks may be difficult. Be prepared to use a lot of CA glue to harden it up because it is very soft and very porous when it is dry.

Some folks will have a problem with a runny nose and watery eyes from the dry wood dust.

woodspinner

Russ
That is what I was thinking might be the case. AZ. it is a little soft but not bad. I had no heart rot in the tree I used.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom