Cherry Darkening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I have a set of 3 cherry pens I'm working on. Segmented in some walnut on 2 of them, and maple on the other.

I am figuring the cherry will age darken, increasing the contrast with the maple, but right now the contrast is low.

Is there a way to accellerate the cherry darkening? I thought I heard that Sunlight will do it. Also, will it darken through a CA finish?

I just want to get the darkening started along for a bit of contrast before I deliver the pen.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew Arndts

Any oil finish will darken cherry. IF you want to make it dark dark, take a tablespoon of red mahogany stain and blend it with 3 tablespoons of mineral or BLO. It works for me.

Russianwolf

yes, bright sunlight will darken cherry. (don't leave things on a cherry table that is fresh, you will wind up with light spots where the sun wasn't able to get at it).

The brighter the UV light, the faster it will darken.

I don't think CA will stop it, but may slow it a little.

jttheclockman

There were things to do before you applied a finish but UV is the only way that it will darken now. Yes in sun will aid in that but be careful of other failures due to too much heat such as cracking and wood movement. I say live with it and over time it will darken.

Top Bottom