Cherry blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

I hope this is the proper place for this ,I need advice. A friend wanted me to cut a nice cherry burl into pen blanks ( 1X1X12 inch ). He graciously gave me half of the blanks which are green as in very wet. Now the question, what is the proper or best way to dry these for suitable usable blanks. BTW it`s beautiful wood. Thanks in advance for any help.

Perry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Originally posted by PAPATURNER

I hope this is the proper place for this ,I need advice. A friend wanted me to cut a nice cherry burl into pen blanks ( 1X1X12 inch ). He graciously gave me half of the blanks which are green as in very wet. Now the question, what is the proper or best way to dry these for suitable usable blanks. BTW it`s beautiful wood. Thanks in advance for any help.

Perry

Perry

The best thing you can do with these is drop them off on your next trip to Alabama. Let the Preacher and me take care of them for you. :D

I remember seeing a thread recently on drying wood in an oven.

SuperDave

Originally posted by PAPATURNER

Perry

Put them in a large pot of boiling water on teh stove for at least one hour... Here are a couple of articles on boiling bowl blanks. Don't see why it would not work on pen blanks.... wood is wood:D

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-protocol.html

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html

Rudy Vey

I had good results in storing wet blanks in saw dust. Ghasan from Bethlehem Olivewoods gave me this advise once. It really cuts the drying time down drastically.

How wet is it??? If its really fresh then I would cut it into large pcs. and seal the end grain then let them sit for a couple weeks before I cut them to pen blanks. You have to let the wood dry a little before you cut into smaller pcs., if you cut it into pen blanks when very wet you will get bad checking and warping no matter how well you sticker stack them. Different wood act differently and burls or figured grain are even harder to dry properly. Good luck sir, Victor

Top Bottom