Cherry Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Just wondering if Woodcraft has cherry wood pen blanks? If not, where may I find some?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

TurnerJohn74 has some beautiful Redwood burl. It needs a little drying, but amazing grain patterns. I know it's not cherry, but it's a nice alternative.

monophoto

I'm fortunate that we have a local lumberyard that sells furniture-grade hardwood. They sell their cut-off scraps as turning blanks, and usually have very nice cherry. And it's the closest hardware store/lumberyard to our house.

Steve Busey

If they don't have cherry blanks, they should certainly have some cherry back in the "lumber section" or bowl blank section - go look for the smallest piece you can find, and you'll likely be able to get a few/several pen blanks.

jskeen

I have both some plain cherry lumber sold as cabinet material, and some black cherry slabs I cut myself that have pretty nice figure, even though I would not call it burl. I'ts not on the level of some of the stopper blanks and pieces advertised here lately, but it is right down the road in Crosby, and it's free if you want some. Drop me a PM.

James

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I also have crotch figured cherry blanks as well as nicely figured and ho hum stuff.
Mike

All Thumbs

Cherry pen Blank

Go to Woodcraft .com
Click on store locator and find your store.
Go to your store web page. Upper right corner in inventory type in # 127313. That will tell you if they will have them in stock.

renowb

You know, I went to Woodcraft and did look at the cherry. My customer wants a dark cherry? Now, I always thought there was a dark cherry but all the "cherry" I've seen is a lighter color. Is there such thing as a darker almost dark brown cherry? :eek:
Thanks for all your answers, too!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some of my older stock is darker red/brown . you could always do a light stain with "gunstock" color stain before finishing it with ca or poly. The gunstock is what I used to tone down the lighter sap areas in the boards when I used them to make my cabinets.

jskeen

Most cherry wood is a light to medium redish brown. the red color tends to intensify after a day or two of exposure light, and will continue to darken over time. I don't know that I have ever seen any get to a walnut brown color though. Most cherry fruit is harvest from cultivars of the wild cherry (Prunus avium). Most cherry lumber is actually from the black cherry tree (Prunus serotina) which is larger, more likely to be found in wild stands suitable for timber harvesting, and not usually valuable for it's fruit. The older and larger the tree, the darker it's heartwood tends to get.

PAPenman

Are these dark enough?.

Attachments

• cherry-blanks1.jpg
    cherry-blanks1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 97

renowb

Actually the guy at Woodcraft said to stain it too! I do have some coming. I have made a donation to IAP for Jon and everybody's help. I appreciate it!

Some of my older stock is darker red/brown . you could always do a light stain with "gunstock" color stain before finishing it with ca or poly. The gunstock is what I used to tone down the lighter sap areas in the boards when I used them to make my cabinets.

gr8danish

PM me... If you pay for shipping, I'll send you a few pen sized blanks. I have a DARK Cherry table that I made as a kid (starting to fall apart) that I just cut up into blanks. It is aged well, and has a nice dark brown / red look to it.

Top Bottom