Chemistry question regarding solvents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Okay, here are two questions: What kind of solvent would dissolve Acrylester? What kind of solvent would dissolve Acrylic?

Here's why I want to know: One of the ways for fixing a crack in a vintage pen is to get a part made from that same material, scrape off lots of shavings from it, dissolve this to a goo using an appropriate solvent and then press the goo into and around the crack. The solvent evaporates and the new material and old material have joined. Sand down the excess material and you're all fixed up.

I'm thinking that a similar method could be used to weld/meld a newly fabricated part (from acrylester or acrylic) to the vintage part from which a part is missing. This seems like a more permanent fix than any adhesive that's out there. Further, CA, our adhesive of choice, is harmful to many of the materials used in vintage pens.

I know that acetone dissolves plexiglass. Acetone does not dissolve
acrylester and neither does Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK).

Any ideas?

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Julia - Your question is too open-ended. Acrylester and acrylic both have numerous formulations. Some of these formularies will dissolve in MEK or acetone. Others will dissolve in paint thinner or Tuolene. And there are several other solvents. Since the chemical composition of most pen barrels is not known, you will probably need to experiment and keep a diary. Good Luck. [8D]

jtate

It is an awfully-open-ended question, granted.

Are paint thinner and Tuolene the same thing?

I'm prepared for the experimentation about the barrels. That's going to take time. I had hoped someone might give me some guidance on the Acrylester and Acrylic to cut out some of the experiemtnation time.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hmmm...I guess I didn't make my point very clearly. Acrylics come in literally dozens of formulations. Acrylester also comes in many formulations. Some are methyl based, some are cyano based, still others are styrene or tetrahydride based. Each requires a different solvent. And while toluene can be used to thin some paints, varnish is more commonly used...at least by us Yankees.

Fred

Take the material in question to a professional paint store - NOT Home Depot - but one of the big named places like Glidden and let one of the senior paint guys look at it. If you have any sample shavings take them and see if you can spark any interested individual to help you out.

Maybe take a pen you can afford to give them as a sort of 'bribe,' heck even a plate of cookies will get you something. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom