Check your kits for defective parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMGg

After a short break earlier, I went back to the shop and turned another customer's pen, a Sapelle slimline in chrome. Got thru with Fangar finishing and began assembly. Put the
nib in, inserted the transmission to the typical depth and screwed the refill in to fine tune it. Huh?!?
Must be gettin' cold, my hands aren't workin'; I can't get the threads started?!?
Pull the refill back out -- oh ch*t, no threads in the dang transmission.
All that work and I don't own a disassembly kit yet. ....

Short story: look at all the parts and make sure the manufacturer did what they're supposed to do else be prepared to spend extra time to correct for their mistakes.

Needless to say, I still wish there was an American-owned, American-made company we could buy kits from.

Grumbling in Florida,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh stop moaning Gary!!!! [:D]If kits were made in 1st world countries, we probably couldn't afford them. Be thankful that you bought it from a US company that will happily give you a new one.

Seriously though, can't you just pull it out with pliers, it doesn't matter if you wreck it, I'm sure it will still be swapped.[:)]

Pipes

I use to get them all the time and a PILE a crap from the MFG !! Berea IMO makes nice pen kits but there service sucks ! So I buy all mine from AZ he makes sure that Berea gets the parts right and IF there is a part problem handles it with out a lecture from the owner ! I have got WRONG tubes and bad transmissions from Berea ! and they just ignored me ! I got a small prblem on a Berea kit from AZ and it was took care of immediately!! I mailed Berea 2 bad transmissions a yr ago I never heard a thing from them !! I have not bought there kits from them directly since and will never again !

pipes

airrat

I called AS about the transmissions on some Flattops that were defective. He told me he does not carry extra parts and could not help me. Even though I bought the kits from him. I contacted Berea and they were suppose to send me replacements. I have yet to receive them. Think I will call them again tomorrow.

I guess good is looking out for this fool.. I don't think I have gotten a bad kit part yet... I've screwed a few myself, but don't remember ever getting a bad kit (yet).. now that I've said that watch my next kits..[:)]

LEAP

I've had a couple bad screw threads on cigars and missing parts on slimlines. Both from a PSI reseller. The seller wood n whimsies replaced the kits and even sent an extra cigar kit. That said I wish there was a supply for odd parts for when I pooch a kit. I've got a box of loose stuff from my mistakes but never seem to find the right thing when I need it. It would be nice if the big guys carried transmissions or other parts for their most commonly sold pens. I would gladly buy a bag of say 25 or 50 slimline transmissions just in case.

GaryMGg

Phil,
My PSI slimline kits came from Tim and Tracey, owners of http://woodnwhimsies.com and they've been great at customer service. Of course, it's not possible for them to open and check each kit and I have no qualms with them. I'm mostly PO'ed with myself for not thinking to check the parts prior to using them [B)].
- G -

Woodlvr

Woodcraft carries the transmissions for a good price, at least this will help you get the pen done.[:D]

Mike

JimQ

Woodturningz sells the 7mm transmissions at 10 for $7. I screwed up several myself, [:I] so I ordered them. They also carry spare Cigar transmissions.

JimQ

LEAP

Thanks guys, I did not know they sold the transmissions in bulk. I've got nothing but praise for WoodnWhimsies, their service and pricing has been great. The only "trouble" I've had with any supplier was PSI having items on backorder and not saying anything when the order was placed.

cueman

Gary,
I don't have a disassembly tool either, so when I come across an unthreaded slimline tranny, I stick the tranny in the vise and pull on the pen barrel, sometimes I have to work it back and fourth a bit to get it out. Hope this helps.

jrc

I get bad transmissions all the time and chrome nibs with chrome build up. I just send them back. It's a hassel but what can you do, there all made at the same place. Some batches are better than others. Just get a tool and take them apart.

thebreeze

I just picked up a flat-top in cocobolo that I made as part of a set for a Christmas gift. The pen clearly has a bad tranny, but I am having trouble removing it! I found a 7mm med. thread bolt that fits well enough to hopefully remove the tranny without damaging the pen.
Glad to hear that bad transmissions are a fact because I must have picked up a bad lot cuz it happened to 3 out of 10 flat tops made in December last year.
Not familiar with "Transfer punches" I'll check HF.
thanks

beathard

My main issues of the years have been bad trannys and missing parts. I usually forget to check until it is too late to fix it easily. I am not sure why I always seem to forget to check on the kit that is messed up! [V]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Gerry, maybe something is lost in the translation across the pond or I'm not clear on what you mean. I always thought transfer punches are/were normally square shaped with letters, numbers or symbols on them?
I have dissembled my mistakes using pin punches, are these the same thing?

Edit in; OK, now I understand after following Pipes's link, I see you guys get round ones[:I]

Pipes

Here is the link to HF transfer punch set they work GREAT to take any pen apart..IMO I think this is the set I got !

and there cheap
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=transfer+punches

pipes

TAld

HF transfer punches has been one of my best investments as far as money is concerned. I don't know of any pen (so far) that you can't take apart with them. Saved me many times.

jwoodwright

Gary, Slimlines are easy to disassemble...

1/8 inch brass welding rod, 6 in long, 1/4 in screw 3 in long.

Rod goes through transmission to tap out nib. I'm right handed, so I hold the barrel in my left hand and tap the rod, catching the nib, in my hand.

From Nib end, insert screw and holding barrel, tap screw, driving the tranny out...

Takes longer to tell, then to do.

jrc

One of the main problems I've had with the Berea chrome slimlines and chrome sierras, the tip of the nib can have a chrome build up and the refill tip will not go thru. If you put the kit together and twist, it breaks the transmission. I check all chrome nibs before assembly and ream them with a drill bit

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Man, someone must have put a curse on me.[V] I've never had a problem with trannies or other bits.........until now.

I was busy assembling my latest pen this morning and didn't even think to check the tranny. The bum one is fitted and there is a loose one for comparison. Spot the difference.

200727125250_tranny.jpg
<br />

the shiney sleeve is not crimped on and the damn thing ( the sleeve ) got stuck in the tip twist pen. I got it out and just crimped around it with side cutters. The grease was holding it together, which is why I didn't notice.

Haven't had troubles with a transmission yet but have had the problems on the inserts (threads not cut right)for the caps on some designers from PSI. Guess this is a good warning to check all the pieces before assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom