Check tubes before assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdmacdo

Well, that was an expensive little mistake on my part... I just finished turning and finishing the tubes for a Tycoon pen and got the best finish of any to date. Instead of checking evrything twice before assembly, I just jumped right in to putting it together.

My method to glue the tubes in is to use Gorilla Glue, because it expands and fills any defects in the drilling. It also has a habit of expanding into the ends of the tube at times. When I squared the blanks, I noticed a little got into the tube and scraped it all out of the tube (or so I thought).

Back to the assembly, I placed the coupler in the first end with no problem. As I am pushing the second coupler into the other side, I feel a little more pressure than usual. Maybe I have the coupler going in crooked, so I readjust everything and push again. As I start to push, I hear a loud crack before the coupler gets all the way in. The coupler at the other end just cracked from the pressure I applied trying to get the scecond one in... I guess I didn't get all the glue out and it ruined both couplers. After 30 minutes of trying to remove them, I was able to drill them out and use the couplers from a second Tycoon set...

I was able to save the pen, but lost one Tycoon kit with my rush to assemble, when a little more cleanup should have been done... I just wanted to 'share' my learning experience with everyone else...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

John ... Sorry to read about your loss. Put together a bag of the different sized brass tubes you use and the next time you are near a sporting goods store, drop in and buy a pistol bore cleaning rod with interchangeable tips, and handle. Buy several brass barrel brushes that fit your brass tubing that you brought in with you. You do not need any cleaning solution at all.

These brushes are excellent for removing 'stuff' from the tubes and they do not damage the tubes, unless of course you become too aggressive and scrub away any metal. Two or so turns is usually enough to get rid of any 'junk'. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
All may not be lost... get a couple more kits and make two closed ended pens. Now you have 2 new couplers to save that one.:wink:

Brooks803

Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you don't have the end finial screwed into the coupler bc that will trap all the air inside the tube while you press in the other parts and will crack you barrel. DAMHIK

manatee

What Fred said. I use bore brushes from my gun cleaning kit chucked into a drill to clean out my tubes. Works great!

jdmacdo

All may not be lost... get a couple more kits and make two closed ended pens. Now you have 2 new couplers to save that one.:wink:

After reading this, I smacked my forehead and ran out to pull the pieces out of the 'skip' :biggrin: and dropped them back in the kit bag with a note... Now, I just need to make one closed end pen to have parts for two closed end pens...

I will be going out to get some bore brushes in the near future so this doesn't happen again...

Thanks for the comments... Hopefully, someone else can learn from my mistake before they make it

ctubbs

I have to thank Ed for drilling into my thick skull to be absolutely sure the tubes were clean before assembly on my Tritons. He did forget to mention that the little rings could be put in the wrong way, though. Yes, they sure can and they look like crap when installed that way. Luckily I had already had reason to buy a set of punches. They sure came in handy then.
Charles

Top Bottom