Check out my pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrishicks82

Hello I am new to this forum and kinda new to woodworking. I used my lathe for the first time about a month ago. I have made a few pens. What do you think of them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

Welcome to the forum from Manhattan, Ks. Your pens look pretty darn good to me! I, too, am a beginner, but have learned so much from this forum. If you haven't found the library yet, that should be your next stop.....the people that have crafted those articles are very generous for sharing their knowledge and time.

chrishicks82

I have a few up for sale on ebay but i am not really pushing the selling yet trying to get the inventory up. Where is the best place to sell them

Canadian_Kid

Nice work but I must say that I checked out the picture of your shop before the pictures of your pens. I wish my work area looked that clean:laugh:

chrishicks82

I vacuum everyday after I am done but the walls are falling apart I have to hurry up and get it framed in and the drywall and pegboard up

chrishicks82

This is not my permanent shop I am working on getting my garage finished with a new roof and electric. The space in the basement will still be a small tinkering shop, maybe just for turning.

ToddMR

Very nice setup indeed. I like the pens. Nice variety in wood, kit, and shapes. They look pretty good. There are times I wish my shop was in the basement, but the garage works pretty good for me. Just adjusting for the temperatures outside that can be crazy.

RichB

Great looking pens, all different profiles which make them stand out. Is that a shopsmith, do you use it for your pens? The shopsmith was my first tool for my shop 40 years ago and I still use it for other things, not pens because I have a Rikon Midi. Welcome to the IAP and Thanks for showing. RichB

Last edited:

chrishicks82

They are all finished with Shellawax. I use it because it is easy and it puts a very glossy finish on them. The pens look almost like they have a gloss coat on them before I put it on because I sand them to 2500grit before I finish. Yes that is a shopsmith it is also my first piece of equipment, I have had it for about 3 years now and just now get to use the lathe on it. Not bad for my first turnings.

ctubbs

You have some really good looking pens there, especially for your first venture at turning. Congratulations.
I read your finish is Shellawax. That finish is not a long lasting finish. There are an abundance of other finishes that have proven their worth on pens. Lacquer, Polly, CA(probably the most popular) and a few others. Check out the library for tutorials and U-tube for videos on finishing pens. There is a wealth of information available. Once you get completely confused, right down some questions and post them here. There are answers galore and opinions from most everyone. Keep up the good work and be sure to keep your first pen for something to compare a year from now.
Charles

Top Bottom