Cheaters tip..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Somehow I ended up with a beauty of a cigar pen with short lower barrel. I am very carefull with end milling so I do not think I over milled it, but we are talking maybe 2mm or 3mm too short (no, the tubes were not swapped, the cap length is normal) ANYWAY.. I figured I now have myself a new pen, but it bugged me too. I am not sure if this would be a tip for a resale pen, but I did save it. I removed the parker refill and pulled the plastic end off of it and sanded it down on a disk sander. I then pushed it back on and after a couple passes it fit's perfect! Now, you "could" always blame it on the new refill if it ever came back, but I think I will keep this for myself. It's a nice orange/yellow angle cut cocobolo with a wonderfull flash on the lower tube. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clewless

It's amazing how we sometimes have these lapses...I would only give a pen like that to a close friend/relative after telling them I have to install a special refill when they run out of ink.[:D]

Get lemons...make lemonade!!!

jwoodwright

Done this twice... [:I] Once a Cigar, another a Flat Top American. They live on my desk... For thoses that want to buy them, I tell them they are special experimental models! [:D]

Randy_

You can do similar "tricks" with other refills, too. I have a strong personal preference for the gel refill made by Sanford because it has a much broader tip than other refills. Unfortunately, it is longer than the refills that go in the standard kits and the nib is a different shape so it sticks out too far from the tip. However, if you cut about 2 mm off the end of the plastic refill and slip the ring over the nib of the refill, it fits perfectly!! Not something I would do on a customer's pen, except by special request; but is a wonderful solution for my personal use!!

Ravenbsp

Way to go! I once switched the long and short tubes and didn't notice until the whole thing was finished and assembled. Of course I was using a segmented blank that I had spen hours making. Owing to the blank design, dissassembly of the pen and reversing the assembly wasn't an option[:(]

Bryan

kf4knf

I think this is a classic mistake. I have done the same "modification" to one of my cigar refills. Your right, it works for awhile till you have to replace the ink cart. Other than that you really dont notice. [;)]

I wouldnt sell these to a customer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom