Cheaper Trustone source?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

I've concluded that TruStone is the best looking non-wood material for pens....great stuff.

However CSU's price of $15 for a 7/8" blank is pretty costly.

Is this stuff available in sheets?

What else is it used for? Maybe countertops?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

William, click on Home then go to Shipping and you will get the pricing. They sell it by the pound and in several different size blocks. They have some very interesting colors available. A group buy would probably be the best way to purchase these from them and then the buyer would have to cut them down to pen blank size. A good bit of work for the organizer but it may be a good chance to try some colors thats not available from CSUSA. It's something I've been thinking about for awhile now.

YoYoSpin

Based on the $15.00 per pound price found on their "shipping" page, and the full-block size of 2.5" x 6" x 12, weighing in at "12 to 18 pounds"...here's the math I come up with:

A full block would yield 42 each 0.75" x 6.0" blanks, assuming 5 to 10% cutting scrap. Assuming the block actually weighs 15 pounds, the block costs would be $15.00 x 15 = $225/42 blanks = $5.35 per blank, plus shipping. That compares to Craft Supplies price of $7.64 each for 10 to 49 quantities.

Seems like a group buy would cause the coordinator a lot of work and only yield a small savings.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

I don't doubt your math. However, if a group buy were to happen, there would be interest in more than one pattern. So, there would have to be enough demand to sell 42 blanks OF EACH PATTERN. If you could get 4 or 5 patterns (or more) you ought to be able to arrange a discount off their normal prices. FWIW

Randy_

According to the web site, a 1/4 block would cost from $45 t0 $60 and yield six 7/8"x7/8" blanks for a cost of $7.50 to $10 per blank. Depending on how accurate the quoted block sizes are and how thin a blade one uses in cutting up the block, you might also get some 1/2" or 5/8" slimline blanks as well?? Considering ths amount of work involver in a bulk buy like this, it might be better for individuals to buy and cut up their own blocks and then sell off any excess that they don't need. And considering all of the work involved, maybe the CSUSA price for an individual blank doesn't seem so high after all??

Maybe one of the big time blank sellers like Dario or Big Rob could be talked into stocking some of this stuff; but given that they have to make a little profit, too, their prices might not be a whole lot less than the CSUSA price??

YoYoSpin

Actually, I just spoke to this outfit and they say the stuff that's on their website selling for $15.00 a pound is NOT appropriate for lathe turning...it's too hard. However, they have another product that will work (same stuff Craft Supplies sells) that goes for $17.50 a pound. So with that, the blank price goes up to $6.25 each.

Just for grins, I went ahead and ordered quarter-blocks in Turquoise (#40 w/Black) and Malachite. I'll let you know how it turns and if in fact it's the same quality and turn-ability as Trustone.

Randy_

Ed: If the blocks are sized exactly as stated, I don't think you can get 42-3/4" blanks out of a block. On the other hand if you cut 11/16" blanks, I figure you can actually get 48 blanks out of a block assuming a reasonably thin kerf saw blade.

YoYoSpin

Hey, I'm not volunteering to cut up and mail blanks [:D] ...it was just a straw-man analysis, indicating for me at least, that the retail markup on Trustone is not enough to justify all the work envolved in a group buy. I decieded to buy some quarter-blocks because I want the larger size to make non-pen stuff with.

JimGo

Ed D., I went through this exercise about a year ago, and came to the came conclusion. The samples I purchased from them turned just like TruStone, and looked very nice too. The only advantage I see of buying from them is that you have some other color options available. However, you have to order so much of that color that you'll probably get relatively sick of it! I decided that it wasn't worth the headache of coordinating a group buy which as the other Ed pointed out would have to have minimums on each color (resulting in people getting annoyed when their preferred color was dropped, possibly having to refund money because people back out of an order, etc.).

All that being said, Randy, it sounds like you're volunteering to run a group buy! If so, just let me know...I'll be glad to participate. [:D] Though I'd really like to get some 1" blanks if I could.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Ed D., I went through this exercise about a year ago, and came to the came conclusion.

All that being said, Randy, it sounds like you're volunteering to run a group buy! If so, just let me know...I'll be glad to participate. [:D] Though I'd really like to get some 1" blanks if I could.

Yeah,

Blanks sound good, make mine 45/64"[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />.....All that being said, Randy, it sounds like you're volunteering to run a group buy! If so, just let me know...I'll be glad to participate. [:D] Though I'd really like to get some 1" blanks if I could.

I just like to play "what-if" with my calculator. I'm afraid my little 10" bench top band saw would be seriously over-worked doing a group thing even with its very nice Timberwolf blade. In the foreseeable future, any free time I have will likely be absorbed with finishing the Pen Reference Chart.[^]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I also was thinking about a group buy of this stuff some time ago. But the shipping cost from them in Tempe AZ to Houston negated any savings. Perhaps someone in AZ could do a group buy and pick it up from the company to save the cost of the primary shipping.

Brian,
I didn't realize Tru-Stone was so expensive... I have a couple of blanks to turn.. I'll have to watch that I raise the price on those pens...

Have you tried the HUT polygem... it very close to Tru-stone... slightly different colors and about 1/2 the price.

airrat

I am closer to tempe then Anthony is. I can look into this however, I cannot do much till after the Holiday's. I get up at 5 am due to son, then go to therapy (back issues) then off to work until 1 am. My days off (thur/fri) are spent with Sean (13 mth old).

Acutally I will be right down the street from them today, I will stop by and look at their place.

This is all based on if Sean will cooperate with me. Might have to see about it tomorrow.

airrat

Ok all, just got home from visiting RT Research. Very nice group of people there, got a tour of the facilities. The "soft" stone block (truestone is CSUSA's name for it) does not come in every color listed on their site. I did get a sample piece from them. I want to see how it cuts on a bandsaw. When they cut it for CSUSA they use a wet tile saw.

What they preferr to sell is the 6 x 6 block:
$17.50 a pound under 200 lbs
$15.00 for 200 lbs
$12.50 for 1000 lbs

They did say we could mix the colors to come up with that weight. Let me look into what it would take to cut that amount of product and how well it will cut. I did tell them of the site and invited them to join it. They do turn some pens. They are going to close for the holidays and will reopen after the first of the year.

Tom

jdmyers4

I've ordered some quarter blocks from them. The pliable ($17.50/lb) turns nicely. The colors available in the pliable form are:

KINGMAN
AZ. TURQUOISE
PERSIAN TURQUOISE (#40 W/ MATRIX)
#40 WEB
LAPIS W/ PYRITE
BANDED MALACHITE
MALACHITE WEB
AZURITE MALACHITE NATURAL LOOK
AZURITE WEB
LEOPARD SKIN JASPER
BANDED IVORY
WHITE TURQUOISE
WHITE WEB
BLOODY BASIN JASPER
LARIMAR
VARASITE
GASPAITE
PINK CONCH SHELL
ASIAN PINK CORAL
RED ORANGE SPINY

I would be interested in a group purchase if we could get in a 200 pound order. I'd order maybe about 20 pounds for myself.

I've tried some of the harder material. You can turn it, but it doesn't turn as nicely as the pliable material listed above.

John

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Good site, Lance. I did not see a way to order from the site, did I miss something?

Guess I should read all posts before making smart recommendations...[:0]

William, they have an order form on their site and price for one pound is $15, they also give approx sizes with weight. I guess you have to fill out the form and e-mail or fax it over to them.

This is quite an interesting collection of artificial stones, would be great if we could get a group buy. Anyone in AZ close by to take a look??[:0][:0]

YoYoSpin

Here's a follow-up...received my order today, three days after placing it with RT. The blocks are very nicely made and exactly the same as the Trustone I'm familiar with. This batch of three blocks costs $142.00. Shipping and handling to Colorado ran $10.75. Now I see why they sell this stuff by the pound, as the finished block's sizes are pretty random.

Turquoise #40 web billed as 3.5 lbs, actually 3 lbs - 6.8 oz, measuring 6 1/8" x 3 1/4" x 2 1/2"
Varasite billed as 2.5 lbs, actually 2 lbs - 7.9 oz, measuring 6" x 3" x 1 15/16"
Malachite billed as 1.5 lbs, actually 1 lb - 7.4 oz, measuring 5 1/2" x 2 3/8" x 1 7/8"

So, taking into account the slightly shorted weights and shipping, it comes out to $19.24 a pound.

TS_1.jpg

clewless

Ok, Ed, thanks for the update.

How thick are the pieces?

What are you planning to use to turn it into blanks? BS or TS?

What will they yield as total # of blanks?

We'll be waiting to see how it cuts and turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom