Changing Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have read alot on this forum about people changing out the refill that comes with the kit. There is a thread going on now about shortening the sierra click and changing the refill in it.

My question is how many people change out the refill that comes with the kit for something different and why and what??? Do you do this all the time or is there some perameters that make you want to do this??? Is it the special pens you do this with?? Where are you buying those refills??? This probably has been talked about before but it seems you read of alot of people doing this and I am trying to figure out why and is this necessary. Is this a quality issue or a persoal preference.??? Thanks for the replys.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

JT, the ball point refills that come with the Berea kit are very good, no need to change them. The Roller ball refills that come with the kits from CSUSA - Schmidt refills - are great, no need to change. The Hauser refills in Berea RB kits are crap, I use them as mixing sticks for my epoxy. I exchange them all for Schmidt refills. If you do a search here, this refill issue comes up every two months. And i say it now to the (at least) 10-time - I had customers coming back to me and asking for the same refill as their pen had initially - they bought the brand name Cross or Parker and they are not as good as the ones coming with the kits. This is just my opinion and others here have a different one.
The Sierra click is another issue. I think it is plain dumb to need an extension when using a ball point refill of the Parker type - people do not think and toss the old refill with the extension. I can explain this a few times at every show, but often these pens are bought as a present and the info is not conveyed on.
My decision was an easy one: I use only the gel type refill that need no extension. I like the length of the tube, it shows wood of nicely, and I do not shorten the tube just to accommodate the refill. Others may differ here as well.

I typically will swap out the ball point refill in the kits that take Parker refills for a Parker Gel refill. Smooth writing and you don't need as much pressure to write.

KenV

I have had poor cross refills as the rule and provide good replacements with pens that use them. Schmidt refills in parker style are good. Uniball 65873 and the G2 Gell Writer are very very nice writers in the full length Sierra Click. I save the parker refills and send them on with the gell writers. I do shorten the tubes for sierra click pens as a disaster recover operation rather than as an initial design feature.

jttheclockman

JT, the ball point refills that come with the Berea kit are very good, no need to change them. The Roller ball refills that come with the kits from CSUSA - Schmidt refills - are great, no need to change. The Hauser refills in Berea RB kits are crap, I use them as mixing sticks for my epoxy. I exchange them all for Schmidt refills. If you do a search here, this refill issue comes up every two months. And i say it now to the (at least) 10-time - I had customers coming back to me and asking for the same refill as their pen had initially - they bought the brand name Cross or Parker and they are not as good as the ones coming with the kits. This is just my opinion and others here have a different one.
The Sierra click is another issue. I think it is plain dumb to need an extension when using a ball point refill of the Parker type - people do not think and toss the old refill with the extension. I can explain this a few times at every show, but often these pens are bought as a present and the info is not conveyed on.
My decision was an easy one: I use only the gel type refill that need no extension. I like the length of the tube, it shows wood of nicely, and I do not shorten the tube just to accommodate the refill. Others may differ here as well.

Rudy

What refill do you use with the Sierra clicks. I just got a few of these and want to give them a try. That is why I am watching that post with intensity because I too do not think it is a good idea to have small pieces flying all over the place when someone wants to change a refill. Thanks.

hughbie

inquiring minds want to know.....i gave my Dr. a sierra click (full size) and she asked me today, what kind of gel refill does it take and i was at a loss....
are you saying the G2 refill works in the full size sierra click? is that with or without the extension?

Rudy Vey

Rudy

What refill do you use with the Sierra clicks. I just got a few of these and want to give them a try. That is why I am watching that post with intensity because I too do not think it is a good idea to have small pieces flying all over the place when someone wants to change a refill. Thanks.

The refills I use are the Uni-Ball 70207, they are medium and they can be found at Staples (a two-pack for $2.99) - but if you do a search there are several companies that offer these refills for much less, I think the last ones I bought were $1.71 per two pack. This refill fits the Sierra click perfectly, and it comes also in a bold version (I believe the refill numbers given in the instruction are the bold ones). Both types come in blue or black.

Rudy Vey

inquiring minds want to know.....i gave my Dr. a sierra click (full size) and she asked me today, what kind of gel refill does it take and i was at a loss....
are you saying the G2 refill works in the full size sierra click? is that with or without the extension?

The Uni-Ball 70207 fits this pen perfectly. They can be found at Staples for $2.99 per two-pack. There is also a bold version available. Both come in either black or blue.

Top Bottom