Changing My Focus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have thought about this posting for the last week and wasn't sure where to post my thoughts until I saw the thread about "new people turning".

I am changing my focus - for both my penturning and my scrolling. My wife and I have done the local "craft show" circuit for the past several years and the 'set-up' and 'tear down' is taking a toll on our bodies. I have decided that I am, now, going to take my turning and scrolling and make it a true hobby rather than a business. I want to play with other pen kits, try some of my different blanks, turn other items like bottle stoppers, letter openers, etc. In short - I want to bring the fun back. The IAP will continue to be a constant in my toolbox of tips, tricks, and techniques.

As for scrolling, I have several 'time-consuming' clocks I want to cut in addition to trying some other types of cuttings. I am really looking forward to my "new" hobby (i.e. - new as a hobby).

Just thought I'd catch you all up to date!

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan,

We have been out of the craft show circuit for two years now. Do ONE each year. We are starting to miss it. Attended as a spectator last weekend, lots of people said Hi. Looking forward to adding maybe two more per year and YES, I AM enjoying turning more, again.

Good luck to you!!!

All Thumbs

Dan:
I'm in the same boat as you. We did 8-10 shows a year, due to health we are down to 2. I've been scrolling for 20 years. Retired 4 years ago and went to work for Woodcraft. I took a pen turning class in order to know what to sell to penturners. Got hooked on turning.
I read your blog, great insight into the world of older crafters.
Carlton :bananen_smilies046:

ctubbs

Years ago, I made the mistake of turning a really fun hobby into a full time business. All the "fun" I was having in photography slowly became drudgery. Eventually I quit the business and now, years later, it is once again fun to take camera in hand and shoot what I want to when I want to. Welcome back to the fun of whatever you want to do.
Charles xprofessional photographer:biggrin::tongue::wink::):):)

Christian

I have always wondered about that. My turning and penmaking is a hobby and something I love. I wondered if those talented guys who make a living from it still actually enjoy their turning? I had a hobby many years ago of making streetrod t shirts for friends. 1 or 2 every so often suddenly lead to a small business visiting car shows and setting up a stand. Cue late nights over a drawing board/ printing machine and away went the fun. Gave it up and have never been near a design since. I hope you find the fun again.

Chris

Wildman

Sure a few people may look at pen turning as a way to make easy money. Majority of people starting to make a pen know better. Common sense will tell people in a world where you can buy a bag of pens for only $1.99 better be making something outstanding.

Time, money, confusion and lack of confidence probably reason most folks make a pen or two then drops the hobby. The ones that continue and want to make the hobby pay for itself soon disillusioned too. People that liked that free 24K Slimline, not willing to pay money for Slimline with better plating. Hey, they tossed that free Slimline when it ran out of ink.

You find out big box and office supply stores in your area normally do not carry Cross Refills. Some can order two Cross Refills for about $6.00. That bag of pens for $1.99 starts to look more attractive to you too!

The hard core hobbyist, over comes confusion and builds confidence as experience grows. They can make and sell great Slimline and more sophisticated pen kits.

Salesmanship wait a minute, those outstanding pens you created should fly off the shelves for big dollars!

I am unanimous in that opinion.

sbell111

I have always wondered about that. My turning and penmaking is a hobby and something I love. I wondered if those talented guys who make a living from it still actually enjoy their turning?
Although we don't actually try to make a living from our pen sales, instead using them as just a supplement to our 'real' jobs, I think that I can speak for many of us when I say that a big part of the fun is taken away when you are working against the clock to make a bunch of pens to restock for the next show or to finish orders promptly to get things shipped out. Then you have the setting up and taking down booths and transporting/storing everything. Plus there's the marketing/sales side of it that many of us aren't naturally comfortable with and making sure that you have plenty of supplies, materials, and kits on hand to cover what you are going to need in the foreseeable future. It all gets to be a really big hassle, sometimes for not too much profit.

Last edited:

avbill

I do two Art Fairs a year. Both fairs proceeds go to charity. A Fire department and the Rotary. This keeps my hobbies fun! If I miss one I miss one! no big deal!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I do two Art Fairs a year. Both fairs proceeds go to charity. A Fire department and the Rotary. This keeps my hobbies fun! If I miss one I miss one! no big deal!

Almost all of my turnings go out as gifts or to charity auctions. Once in a blue moon I take a commission to make some turning, could be pens, could be something else. I'm a lot happier this way. I work for a manufacturing company, I don't want to go home to worrying about profit and loss, I just want to have some fun.

Padre

Almost all of my turnings go out as gifts or to charity auctions. Once in a blue moon I take a commission to make some turning, could be pens, could be something else. I'm a lot happier this way. I work for a manufacturing company, I don't want to go home to worrying about profit and loss, I just want to have some fun.

Well said Eric. My sentiments exactly.

DurocShark

Most of my stuff is commission work. I've only recently had time to build "inventory". My entire inventory is on my etsy page... Like 12 items. ;)

I like doing commission work for one-off items. I generally use that as an opportunity to stretch my skills.

When it gets to be mid-December, any pens in inventory that haven't sold will become gifts. heh

Top Bottom