Chameleon Tubes w/ PSI Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Greetings!

I've been 'lurking' here for a few months and, now, have progressed in my pen-making to the point that I have the ability to ask a reasonable question! I have heard that pen supplies from one manufacturer might or might not work with parts from another manufacturer. Does anyone know if the CSUSA chameleon tubes will work with the PSI pen kits (Slimline). I'd like the tubes from CSUSA as they are cut to length and the 'white' tubes from PSI require being cut to size. I don't trust my own eyeballs and skills to cut tubing to correct length - plus, it is kind of overkill to use my contractor's table saw for this kind of cutting (not to mention posing a hazard to at least 2-3 of my fingers). I'd appreciate any kind of feedback re: this!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Dan, go for it. PSI and CSUSA slimline tubes are interchangeable.
I'm noticing PSI listing a lot of tubes you have to cut to length, and some kits have no precut xtra tubes available. Shame on them.

randyrls

Greetings!

I've been 'lurking' here for a few months and, now, have progressed in my pen-making to the point that I have the ability to ask a reasonable question! I have heard that pen supplies from one manufacturer might or might not work with parts from another manufacturer. Does anyone know if the CSUSA chameleon tubes will work with the PSI pen kits (Slimline). I'd like the tubes from CSUSA as they are cut to length and the 'white' tubes from PSI require being cut to size. I don't trust my own eyeballs and skills to cut tubing to correct length - plus, it is kind of overkill to use my contractor's table saw for this kind of cutting (not to mention posing a hazard to at least 2-3 of my fingers). I'd appreciate any kind of feedback re: this!

Dan; Slicing tubes is easy. Pen turners deal with small pieces of stock and you should have a saw sled of some sort to keep fingers away from that spinning blade. Some time ago I made a tubing cutter that mounts to my saw sled and allows my to cut bulk tubing to length. Sometimes I want to use a longer than stock tube.

A search thru the library and message archives will turn up several saw sled ideas and tips. Mine is below and admittedly over-built!

http://www.coleman-family.org/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=1796

seawolf

As long as the tubes are longer there should be no problem. Insert the tube then cut flush with the band saw, trim and square as usual.
Mark

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan, go for it. PSI and CSUSA slimline tubes are interchangeable.
I'm noticing PSI listing a lot of tubes you have to cut to length, and some kits have no precut xtra tubes available. Shame on them.

NOT SO FAST there, Johnny!!!!

A little "inside baseball": The "fun line" is probably not made by the same company that makes their normal slimlines. AND some of the slimlines have had fitting issues, even within the same manufacturer. So, BE CAREFUL!!!

Can you MAKE them WORK??? Probably. But you may have to help the components fit (sandpaper or CA---thinner or fatter)

johnnycnc

I'll stand behind my words in my original reply.
The O.P. asked about CSUSA chameleon tubes
and PSI slimline tubes being interchangeable.
I did not read "funline" into it.

There are some issues with the CHEAP slimlines, with that I'll agree.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let me clarify that John and I do NOT disagree on his expertise. John has earned a reputation as a "machinist" of unexcelled repute.

My comment was meant to point out that the quality control of the manufacturers has come into some question. In my mind, and to my experience, it is NOT question, there is NO doubt that the dimensions of tubes are no longer consistent. PSI has started using a manufacturer whose kits I spent many hours battling last Christmas.

At this point in the development of products, I would not make any blanket statements about interchangeability. Heck, I know for a fact that some of the components won't fit the tubes that are in the bag with them, without help.

But, it IS a quality control issue. It is NOT a difference of opinion with John. He most certainly stated a fact, ACCURATELY, given the products that he has used and tested (also ACCURATELY).

Top Bottom