Centerband material suggestions please...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

Where do I get thin ~2mm black material that can be used as centerband material? I have used buttons but they are a pain to drill and can get expensive at the fabric stores. Does anyone know of similar synthetic material that is cheap and easy to come by? The nice thing about the buttons is that they turn and polish easy. They are like acrylic blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Woodscavenger, you can get rods of different plastics in black from MSC or McMaster Carr. They have Delrin, ABS, acetal, hard rubber, and others.

its_virgil

Use anything plastic. I get lots of scrap plastic from a local sign company. They cut ( with a CNC) letters from 4x8 sheets of plastic in all colors and thicknesses. I have also used the following: my expired credit cards and my wife's unexpired ones, CD's, pickguard (luthier supply), soda caps, the plastic stuff name placques are made from for office doors (from a local engraver), the fiber washers from woodturningz.com, brass washers, colored plexiglass, and the list goes on. Seems I find something new quite often to use for CB's. It it amazing how differently I look at stuff since I've started making pens. Be creative!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

tipusnr

You obviously haven't priced the fees attorneys charge lately R.T.!! Remember, you'll be paying for the wife's as well in America's divorce courts!!

As for the centerbands...I've got a warped record album I've been considering. It should work as it's a "big band" album!!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Another thing to try,but it works best if part down to the tube and glue it on.
Either save cuts from acrylic blanks(or any other for that matter)
Mill one end after drilling,glue on to the parted off section of the tube.
cut off remaining section leaving enough room to mill again.
I usually do this on CC's but have also done it with antler and cross grain woods.
This was the"lowly slimline" CB is a piece of the trimmed blank cut cross grain and glued on.

20053814714_royswoodoak%20014.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Do a search of gunsmith suppliers and knife makers suppliers. Both use a lot of synthetic materials for accent, like on buttplates and knife handles. But dedicated ole el cheapo me would look for ordinary items that could be cut up. Cheap picnic plates or almost anything in a pile at a flea market or garage sale.

wpenm

I sometimes use black plastic shims. They come in several sizes. I was a commercial carpenter for years and use to pick them up all over the floors of new buildings. They are used to shim doors, windows, cabinets and so on.

Randy

I have used a guitar pick and also pick guard material also works well. Some of the thermoplastic do not work too well as they can melt if you use a friction polish. I tend to like the polycarbonate materials but they are expensive and hard to find, but they do take an excellent polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom