Centerband Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Alright, I've been reading post after post about how to make the perfect centerband. I don't understand how to get the band to sit on the mandrel. Should I buy a bag of spare tubes and just cut the length of another centerband? Any help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

Ive never made a centerband myself. I either use them or completely do without them, depending on how I'm feeling. But wouldnt you just drill it same size as mandrel? Which would be different diameter than the 7mm you drill for a slim-line. I am guessing your working on a slimline....

Yeah, I guess so. I didn't know if that's how all of you more experienced guys did it. And, as for size, it can pretty much be as big or small as you want, right?

Phunky_2003

Yeah, I guess so. I didn't know if that's how all of you more experienced guys did it. And, as for size, it can pretty much be as big or small as you want, right?

I'm not really all that experience in the slimline. I make them and send them to my brother in the army who gives them away. I've made some mods with them being one piece slims. And removed the center band completely. The last time I did any mods to a slim line was for last years bash. But I do believe thickness can be anything your willing to be able to get out of the blank. As far as length, off the top of my head I would say, as long as part of the tube goes over the twist mech, It should work. I'd guess it could be an inch or so in length... I dont have a kit to measure...

firewhatfire

the mandrel is 1/4. If you will take a 2x4 and drill a 7 mm hole in and insert a tube you can use it for squaring the centerband you are making. Drstrangefart on here is excellent at this technique.

drill your centerband hole 1/4 and make it to the size you like.

GoatRider

I've done a wood center band only once, but when I did I drilled it the same diameter as the mandrel, 1/4". Then instead of bushings in the middle, I glued the band material onto the cap side of the blank, and turned them all together.

This is the silver maple and walnut slimline pen/stylus that resulted:

1_120110_silvermaple_crotch.jpg

titan2

If you're just adding a contrasting material for the center band....I'd just cut the length that I wanted it to be and glue it to the cap end of the blank and then turn everything as a single piece. (Do this before drilling the blank for gluing in the tube.) Glue up the two pieces and then drill.

Barney

Top Bottom