center ring question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

I've only been making pens for a month now and am having one problem that I just can't seem to get past. I am making the 7mm twist and slimline pens. No matter what I do I just can't get the center ring solidly in place so it won't wiggle a little. I am now using my drill press for the barrel trimmer and still no success. I plan on making my own from cutoffs from blanks soon and hope that will work out okay. Are the metal ones supposed to move a little or should they be pretty snug?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Craig,

Assuming that you have the ends of your blanks milled squarely, the center band should fit flush with them, but it does slide over the transmission freely.

ldb2000

If your sure your not gonna disassemble the pen later , you could use a drop of CA to lock it in place but be very careful not to get any on the transmission or your pen wont work right

Firefyter-emt

That's why I recomend the Cigar to start with. The slimlines stink. The slimlines have always been plauged with "loose" centerbands and glue, shims, or what not is a poor fix for a pen. I say give the cigar pen a try, the chrome ones are not much more than the slimline and even in the chrome plating they hold up pretty good compared to the 24k gold. Threre are 2 things to keep in mind with cigars. Watch your tubes, they can be mixed long to short and your pen will not work right. Next the proper placement of the bushings, watch that they are used in the right order.

The cigar is a leap in quaility over the slimline for very little more money.

fafow

Thanks for the input. At least now I know this is a "feature" of this style of pen. I doubt I will quit making the 7mm pens (some women really like the thin pen), but I am also looking at getting into some of the larger barrel pens and the cigar pen is certainly one to consider. Maybe now I will give it more thought than previously. I am really amazed at how quickly people respond on this site. It's really great. It is especially great for someone (like me) just getting started. I don't have to wait for days to get input.

jwoodwright

Just a note, the cigar is very length sensititive, light touch with the barrel trimmer... If you accidently shorten a barrel, there are tricks to "save the day"... I know, I've used them....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Craig,

Also remember that you are not required to use the center band. If you look around the site, you will see many pictures of slimlines without the center band. In spite of opinions pro and con WRT the slimline, there are some pros who use them and make some really amazing pens.

I hope I step on no toes with this link to Jay Pickens' PMG gallery. Jay is a great guy and an amazing slimline artist.

http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=pickensj&page=2

IPD_Mrs

Craig,
Cav is correct about the doing away with the centerband. It also makes for a more custome pen rather than a B2B slim line. Lee is correct about the cigar, but if you need to stick with some of the thinner pens, I think Lee would highly recommend the Olympia that is available from AS. Much easier to deal with than the European as you do not have to deal with a tenon.

Mike

Firefyter-emt

Yes, I like the Olympia much better than the Euro, and the funny thing is this pen is a better replacement for the Slimline than the Euro I think. I find that the 8mm cap tube makes the Olympia much lighter than the Euro and I think closer to the slimline. The centerband is much nicer looking and people have really liked the new style of the spring hinged clip over the Euro. I have also noticed a lot of Euro's loosen at the clip and tend to spin (I have even had one kit with a lost final and clip) The Oylmpia has a one piece clip and final so it will never spin like the slim & Euro.

gerryr

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Craig,
... I think Lee would highly recommend the Olympia that is available from AS. Much easier to deal with than the European as you do not have to deal with a tenon.

Mike
This is not exactly true about the tenon. The material needs to be parted off down to the tube for the CB and every last bit of adhesive MUST be removed from the tube. In fact, you really need to remove a bit of the tube because the CB is an incredibly tight fit on the tube.

IPD_Mrs

Gerry you are correct but it is easier to use a parting tool to get down to the tube as you do not have to keep measuring. You can just cut down to the tube. Visual is so much easier for me. To me it is just easier than the Euro.

Mike

Top Bottom