Center Bands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Is there a good way to keep the center bands on slimlines from moving? The little bit of play back and forth drives me nuts. Making a little tick noise every time it hits the transmission. Can I take the top with off and glue the center band to it, or is there a better way?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I'll be the first to say it can't be done. Don't like them either.
I will however hope that someone corrects me.

I had started to make wood centerbands for slimlines for this reason.

ldb2000

It can be done . DON'T use CA to glue it on , the CA will out-gas and ruin the plating on the CB .
Use a small drop of Loctite (I use the Red but Blue will work also) then push the band in place and it won't spin or rattle any more .
Just make sure that you don't get any on the transmission .

Wheaties

It can be done . DON'T use CA to glue it on , the CA will out-gas and ruin the plating on the CB .
Use a small drop of Loctite (I use the Red but Blue will work also) then push the band in place and it won't spin or rattle any more .

Isn't Loctite Red a CA Glue? What is the difference between Loctite and the EZ Bond I have?

Wheaties

Thought of another thing... Does it effect all plating, or just certain ones?

stolicky

I have actually used a SMALL drop medium CA.

Process:
- dab it on the transmission above the center band
- spin the center band over it
- then slide the center band back down to the bottom barrel

it took a little practice, but it has worked for me. I haven't noticed any issues with platings. Note - I do not use any of the gold platings for slimlines. Only black ti, chrome, gun metal, and pearl.

KenV

Loctite is NOT CA glue -- and the different grades/colors are indicators of how permantent you want to have something stick. Purple is the least fixed, followed by blue and red. Green sets bearings until hell freezes over if I remember correctly.

Some have had problem with CA glues in closed pens causing problems -- and they surface at a later point in time.

Wheaties

Loctite is NOT CA glue -- and the different grades/colors are indicators of how permantent you want to have something stick. Purple is the least fixed, followed by blue and red. Green sets bearings until hell freezes over if I remember correctly.

Some have had problem with CA glues in closed pens causing problems -- and they surface at a later point in time.

Good to know. I got my info from the lowes website (which is probably my first problem). It lists it as CA
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=125874-133-01-27100&lpage=none

ldb2000

Isn't Loctite Red a CA Glue? What is the difference between Loctite and the EZ Bond I have?

Loctite is not a CA . It's a thread locking compound , and Ken is right about the different colors . I use the red because that is what I have in the garage . I use it for nuts and bolts that are subjected to vibration and other stresses that could cause them to loosen up , and it works wonders on loose center bands , finials/clips and other parts that I want to stay together . It will not damage any of the platings that are used for pen parts and can be reversed if the need arises , although the red bonds quite well and can be a SOB to take apart .
You only need a tiny drop to lock any pen parts together . Again be very careful not to get any on the transmission or you will have a nice desk pen .

Top Bottom