Center Bands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

I want to start making some center bands and want to know if any one had any tips for good sizing and squareness. Also how do you turn them on a lathe? Do you somehow temproarily secure them on a brass tube until they are turned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The easiest way that I have found is:

Cut the upper (or lower if you choose) blank to size with the center band piece included.
After drilling, square the center end of the blank (I use a jig with a disc sander)
Drill the piece of wood or other material for the center band.
Sand one side flat.
Glue the blank and the center band to the brass tube and to each other. (I use polyurethane glue)
Clamp.

This takes longer to describe than to do. I use the same method for bands at the upper end of the pens. Some can be seen on my website.

I have used wood, corian, acrylic, trustone, bone, antler, to name some of the bands I have used. All adhere well with the method described.

Larry

wb7whi

My way is to drill a blank then take it to the band saw to cut off sections about 1/4 in or so. I then turn the pen blank to round and cut a 3/16 inch tenon down to the brass tube. I then glue the band on the tenon and us the pen mill to trim the end then finish the pen.
I used to make a tenon on both ends but only using glue on one side. I then would remove the center bushing, put the 2 rounded blanks together on the mandril and turn the entire pen.
I still do this on occasion as I like the shape I produce this way.

Wayne

Top Bottom