Center Band Removal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Hey guys,

Im trying to disassemble a basic Classic Rollerball pen.Obviously most of the parts come out easily with a transfer punch,as they are press fit inside of the tubes,but the center band is press fit to the outside of the tubes.How do you remove this without destroying the blank?All i need to do is a minor repair to the sizing and finish of the pen.Would like to salvage the blank if possible.Can this be done,without destroying the blank and the finish on the hardware?

Thanks

Justin

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hey guys,

Im trying to disassemble a basic Classic Rollerball pen.Obviously most of the parts come out easily with a transfer punch,as they a press fit inside of the tubes,but the center band is press fit to the outside of the tubes.How do you remove this without destroying the blank?All i need to do is a minor repair to the sizing and finish of the pen.Would like to salvage the blank if possible.Can this be done,without destroying the blank and the finish on the hardware?

Thanks

Justin
Hi Justin; Try this! It requires a collet chuck system. Wrap some tape around the centre band so as not to damage it. Insert that into the proper size collet chuck and tighten. With a pair of rubber gloves for gripping try and turn the clip end back and forth to loosen it. Might work, might not, but it's worth a try!

jedgerton

Mack,

That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I tried something not so good last night but I'll give your suggestion a try next!

BTW, not my thread but I was trying the same thing (unsuccessfully) last night.

Joh

fernhills

Hi, if you place a transfer punch or something similar, into the CB and give it a sideways jerk, it will break the glue bond and come off. I did it that way twice. I tried other ways but i either damaged the cap or blank. Carl

Top Bottom