Center band question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

I not sure if there ha been a tutorial posted of not. I have done a search, but no luck. So I guess the next best thing to do is ask here. I am looking to start making my own center bands. Could someone tell me how thy go about mounting or holding it to turn it. Thanks. My mind is drawing blanks lately.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DKF

I turn the upper blank close to correct, then I mark where I want the centerband, and then turn that down to the brass tube using a parting tool. Take the blank off the lathe and glue on the centerband piece...it is already drilled....glue dries, remount, turn down, and that is it.....Hope this helps. Next time I do it I might take some pics....

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Check out the write up by one of our co-founders, Scott Greaves. It's in the middle of this re-print. http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

armchi

I read the article too and I think I have the actual magazine itself. It is of great help. That's if you want to turn the center bands separately. I sometimes make a whole bunch out of leftover end-blanks. You can also cut a small piece for the center band, drill a 1/4" hole (7 mm if you want to put a brass tube in it) and use it instead of the center bushing. That's if you want to have both upper and lower blank match the center band.

Another option is to go to the bead or craft stores and get large beads. You can enlarge the hole with a 1/4" drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom