Center Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The center band spins on most of the slim lines I have made, is this normal?
Thanks.
Hi Darryl; I detest turning slim lines, but from the few I have turned, I recall the CB slips over the tranny, snugly at a point on the tranny, then slips around. It can't come off by itself unless tugged at. Long way about to say, "Yes, this is normal"!

KenV

My answer is -- NO -- because I pitch the center bands on slimlines and either turn without a center band or bond a band of other materials to the blank at that point.

Without the stock centerband and with a good refill, the slimmie can be a pretty good pen.

jedgerton

Just throw the centerband away and make your own centerband by segmenting a contrasting material onto the lower part of the top barrel. The lowly slimline can be fashioned into quite a nice looking pen with a little creativity (and believe me, all I have is a little creativity!).

John

dhallnc

If I understand, you glue a piece of material to the blank and just turn it to be the same as the cb? Which barrel do you use to do that to?

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
I also throw away the center band or use some for spacers. In their place I glue a cut down 1/4" brass washer and turn the pen to any size wanted. The brass can be turned with the pen and will not damage your turning tools. Hope this helps.

Don

juteck

Hi Darryl -- yes - stock centerbands on the slimlines will turn, since they are a slip fit over the twist transmission, not a tight friction fit.

When I turn slimlines, I prefer the double beaded center band, and make the center end of each blank slightly larger than the center bushing. I round it over -- not so much that it has the bumble-bee body to it, but "just enough" to give it a little shape. When shaped this way and the double beaded band, it makes it harder for the user to play with the centerband with twisting, etc.

I've done the same shape with the flat center bands, but still prefer the double beaded band for appearance.

2_birdseye-maple.jpg

2_black-white_ebony.jpg

its_virgil

Before you move on you should explore the possibilities of the "lowly" slimline. Oh No! I don't think of the slimline as being lowly but just the opposite. It is a great kit to use to make some really nice pens...a great kit to use as the chassis to explore, extend, and hone your pen making pen turning skills. These skills can be used when making or modifying other kits. Take a look at the articles on my website, especially the slimline modification ones. You may find that you want to spend a little more time with this versatile kit.

Take a look at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks Mack. Slim lines is all I have turned so far and I think I'm ready to move on.

dhallnc

Thanks for the feedback. Don. I skimmed through your site and seen a lot of interesting stuff. I will read through it when I have more time . Thanks!

Last edited:

nava1uni

I like the slim line. If I use a stock center band I use either the double banded as mentioned earlier in this thread or I buy different center bands with designs. The slim line allows lots of modifications and you can get real creative in what it looks like. I think if you can turn a slim line you have good skills since the body is so thin and can blow out easily. Look at other sites such as Russ Fairfield's, Don's site and you will see that slims are really good. If you buy a good quality kit it makes a great pen.

Dana Fish

My answer is -- NO -- because I pitch the center bands on slimlines and either turn without a center band or bond a band of other materials to the blank at that point.

Without the stock centerband and with a good refill, the slimmie can be a pretty good pen.

I like this idea.... would you mind sharing a picture or 2 of your designs?

Top Bottom