Celtic Knot Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Reb

Celtic Knot Help with pic's

HI

I'm having trouble My knot won't close, one side does but not the other.
Blanks is square on all sides. Drilled in the middle. 45* degree angle.
Whata think?
Thanks
Randy

Attachments

• knot2.jpg
    knot2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 249
  • knot1.jpg
    knot1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

My only guess is that, while you think it was drilled in the middle, it really wasn't. I think the best idea might be to turn the blank round once the glue has fully set and if you are satisfied with the result, drill it out on the lathe.

Marc

alphageek

Former Moderator
Pics? The most common mistake is that the cuts have to be the same thickness as your inserts, but I'm not sure thats what your describing.

kirkfranks

From what I see Marc is correct.
The blank is not drilled quite on center.

It looks like you are using the method of sawing not quite through the blank. This is how I do it too. If you have enough room to keep turning the knot should close up. I have turned some knot pens with a cove (rather than a bulge) at the knot area just for this reason. It will still be off center with one side having slightly longer legs than the other, but people will not usually notice that.

DavidSpavin

Looking at the cross it has been drilled in the center, but I bet you don't cut all the way through the blank before insterting the inlay. What has happened is you havn't cut far enough with one of the cuts so the inlay doesn't show when you turn to size. I usualy use over size blanks alowing you to cut 'deeper' avoiding this problem. :)

fiferb

Looking at the cross it has been drilled in the center, but I bet you don't cut all the way through the blank before insterting the inlay. What has happened is you havn't cut far enough with one of the cuts so the inlay doesn't show when you turn to size. I usualy use over size blanks alowing you to cut 'deeper' avoiding this problem. :)

I also think this is your problem. Another technique is to build the blank bigger by gluing flat board pieces on all four sides. You can then cut a little deeper with the table saw as the boards will hold the blank together.

Randy_

Randy: If you want to save that blank, try the following.

I am assuming the blank is turned to final diameter so you cannot take anymore off the ends or it won't match the hardware. But do take some sandpaper and sand a little just in the areas of the knot so the blank has a slight "dish" in it. I think you shouild be able to make the knot "close" without removing very much material. Then you can feather the dish out to the ends. You will have a slight concave form to your blank; but I doubt most folks will notice and you may even like the feel of it??

Note: It does "look" like the drilling is off center; but I think that is a photographic illusion and the drilling probably OK. OTOH, if the legs of the rings really are different lengths, then the drilling is off center despite what you might think.

VisExp

Thanks guys- I'll try a bigger blank today and see what happens

Randy

I agree with what David wrote.

The one you have pictured will work. You just need to turn it to a smaller diameter and the knot will close. It's like magic :wink: :biggrin:

Top Bottom