Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

As long as you get a nice clean cut, it doesn't matter what you cut with. Make sure the knott pieces match the kerf thickness of your blade, and all will be good.

THarvey

I used a miter saw for these. Just let the blade stop spinning before you lift. That way you are less likely to throw the little pieces across the shop.

I like the miter saw better than the table saw. It is much cleaner and safer.

I still use my band saw for the smaller kerf knots.

Tim

GaryMGg

Originally posted by THarvey...
I like the miter saw better than the table saw. It is much cleaner and <b>safer</b>. ...
emphasis added

NB: <b>IMHO</b>
SAFETY is the #1 consideration in all woodworking I do.
I DON'T know that the statement above is based on facts or empirical evidence.

What I do know is that almost every individual I've seen using a miter saw to make these cuts holds the blank with their hands while most of the folks I've communicated with using a tablesaw use a miter sled and hold-downs to hold the blanks while they cut them.
<b>Clearly, the TS with a miter sled and hold-downs is safer than holding the blank with your hand on either tool.</b>

Furthermore, as to technique, while a miter saw works, the problem is there isn't a way to make a stopped cut using the miter saw so one cuts all the way thru the blank.
It's easier to use a miter sled and hold-downs on a Table saw and NOT cut all the way thru the blank than it is to use a miter saw, cut all the way thru the blank and then have to be able to realign the pieces exactly 4 times.

The specific answer to the original question is: "Yes, a miter saw can be used."
Is it the best tool for the job? in my opinion, NOT at all! I'd put it 5th behind:
1. Table saw with miter sled and hold-downs
2. Band-saw with miter sled and hold-downs and a stop.
3. Radial Arm saw with a miter sled and hold-downs.
4. Hand tools: a good backsaw, miter gauge, and stop.
5. Miter saw.

I don't want to start a religious tool war here but there's a reason we own different tools. Some are more suited to certain jobs than others. Whichever tool and method you use, do it safely. [;)]

THarvey

Gary,

I failed to mention that I used a stop block and a hold down with the miter saw. Thanks for pointing that out. It is key to the safety of cutting the blanks.

My "safer" comment is relative. In my shop the miter saw is safer. That might not be the case with others.

rherrell

Right on Gary! I couldn't even imagine doing knots with a miter saw.I too use a table saw and sled with hold downs whenever I do any segmenting. All fingers present and accounted for and I'm keeping it that way!

gwilki

I use either a table saw sled or my band saw. I prefer the band saw since it has a much narrower kerf than even my narrow kerf ts blades.

Angelo49

Do all mine with band saw sled setup. It's much safer and I like the thinner kerf.
Angelo

2007101811451_eb47_1.jpg
<br />

Russianwolf

anyone care to share their bandsaw set-up. I have a Hitachi CBT-13 I think it is, but still have the original blade. I've honestly never seen a bandsaw cut smooth enough for laminating. I usually turn to my thin kerf tablesaw blade which gives me an almost glass-like cut even if 3/32nds wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom