Celtic frustration!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

foamcapt40

OK maybe I shouldn't be frustrated yet. This is my second attempt at a celtic knot. I think the drilling was off. but any advice would be welcome. I'll continue, but it can cause you to scratch your head at times.This is 2 pictures of the same tube. Help please!

Attachments

• IMG_0058_1024.jpg
    IMG_0058_1024.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0061_1024.jpg
    IMG_0061_1024.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceMrFixIt

Let it go... Took me a few to get a good one. It's a learning process. If they are not drilled in the center it plays havoc with the knot. I even made a jig to drill then square my blank prior to setting the inlay in place. It will get easier. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• PIC_0067.jpg
    PIC_0067.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

jkeithrussell

I've just made my first 2 attempts at a 4-strand celtic knot, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this. But, it looks to me like your inserts were not inserted uniformly. The cuts on each side have to be exactly the same depth (I'm assuming that you didn't cut all the way through the blank with each cut), then the inserts have to all be the same size and shape and they have to be inserted the same. Drilling off-center would not cause the problems you have here. My guess is that your cuts into the blank were not deep enough (because a couple of the pieces didn't mate) and maybe the inserts were put in a little out of whack. You can better see how it is all setting up if you use a steeper angle -- maybe 45 degrees or so.

foamcapt40

Yeah, its down to final size, I'm still trying to get used to my new hand miter saw. I don't have a table saw and the cheap 9" Ryobi band saw might make things worse. So I'll keep trying. Dang! I guess I should have perfected the process before promising my my wife a nifty new pen!

randyrls

I believe you didn't cut entirely thru the blank and inserted the inlays and glued them. If the blank you show isn't to finished size, then turn the blank down the the correct size.
I will comment that the blank you use MUST BE PERFECTLY SQUARE OR ROUND!

You must also drill exactly on the center of the blank, and put a support block under the blank before drilling for the tubes.

Top Bottom