Celluloid vs. Acylic...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

Is there any real difference?

I think that people interchange the names.

I know that celluloid is a mixture of nitrocellulose and camphor, but then is acrylic just a generic name to cover all plastics?

Is there really any functional difference to us as penturners?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Many of the "plastic" names are used interchangeably - but in ignorance. There are major differences in acrylics, celluloid, nylon, polyethylene (and UHMW polyethylene), polycarbonates (Lexan), delrin etc. They are not the same.

"Plastics" is the generic term for most of the above, but celluloid and acrylic are specifics - and both are quite different.

The terms for some of the above vary from country to country, which makes it confusing to me when I want to post something here or on other forums.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Acrylic" has always been harder, "celluloid" more rubbery.

BUT, as in many other things advertised in this "industry", ACCURACY is NOT required.

IF we have members in the plastics industry, I would LOVE to hear THEIR opinion. I can only speak from experience in turning. Those plastics labelled as celluloid will typically smell like rubber and they are harder to bring to a nice shine.

Of course, early pens - 1920's on - were celluloid, so there IS a MARKETING advantage to SAYING it's celluloid.

AGAIN, I TRY to be accurate, not everyone agrees that this is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom