Celluloid from CSU

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark4583

I just purchased one blank of Celluloid from CSU to see how it looked and turned.
Anyone know If I need to paint the Tubes for these?
I probaly should just to be safe.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jclark58

In my (limited) experience the Silver Marble, Carribean Swirl, and Tabacco Marble blanks can be somewhat transparent based on the final thickness of material left on the finished product. This can work to your benefit and provide an interesting effect depending on what you're looking for. I recently purchased some of the White Marble blanks and plan to paint the tubes white.

Jason

gerryr

Which blank did you purchase? That would make a big difference, but when in doubt, paint the inside of the blank rather than the tubes. And don't use CA to glue in the tubes because it can eat up some kinds of paint.

SteveRoberts

Some times I do, depends on the material and the pen type, the sierra is very thin walled and shows much more.

for gerryr

"my mother was a bozoette in college"

Mark4583

Amber Marble is what its called, just got one to see how it looked and turned, I just need to decide what type of pen I want to put it on,
Thanks for the replies

I have turned a lot of CSUSA celluloid's. When I am using these blanks I paint all my tubes with Krylon black, I find these blanks have a transparent depth that allows you to see the radiance of the tube...using black painted tubes actually ads density to the colours in the celluloid.

This is a Junior Gentleman's ball point pen. I painted the tube in this pen black. It added the look that made this pen the happy choice for a customer of mine at a craft show.
20061117225749_IMG_5430.jpg
<br />

This is another celluloid on a Patriot, again the tube painted black.

2006111723036_IMG_7320.jpg
<br />

Hope this helps

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />I have turned a lot of CSUSA celluloid's. When I am using these blanks I paint all my tubes with Krylon black, I find these blanks have a transparent depth that allows you to see the radiance of the tube...using black painted tubes actually ads density to the colours in the celluloid.

This is a Junior Gentleman's ball point pen. I painted the tube in this pen black. It added the look that made this pen the happy choice for a customer of mine at a craft show.
20061117225749_IMG_5430.jpg
<br />

This is another celluloid on a Patriot, again the tube painted black.

2006111723036_IMG_7320.jpg
<br />

Hope this helps

Jim,

those pens look great!!!!!
one question, will ca glue work with the painted tube?
or did the ca glue cause the paint to mess up on the tube?

I think i will have to start painting my tubes.

LAKingsFan

Jim,

Have you used different colors of spray paint on the brass tubes? You know, to match the color of the blank or you just using black? Is the paint FLAT, GLOSS...etc.?

Thanks Bud!

Originally posted by LAKingsFan
<br />Jim,

Have you used different colors of spray paint on the brass tubes? You know, to match the color of the blank or you just using black? Is the paint FLAT, GLOSS...etc.?

Thanks Bud!

Hi Ron,

So far just Krylon gloss black...I have looked at gloss white and also grey...good to see you back![;)]

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
Jim,

those pens look great!!!!!
one question, will ca glue work with the painted tube?
or did the ca glue cause the paint to mess up on the tube?

I think i will have to start painting my tubes.

Hi,

I have had no problems using CA glue on painted tubes....

Thanks, Jim

I will have to try that tomorrow.

LAKingsFan

Thank you for the welcome back! I will try to use the spray paint to paint the tubes, but i've heard many say to paint the inside of the blank...is that better? If so, what type of paint and glue combo do I use?

Ron ((GO KINGS)) [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom