Cedar Log

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

Not sure I am posting in the right area but here goes. This past weekend I was on a camping trip and one of the guys brought a load of fire wood. In it was some cedar from a tree that had been cut down. I asked him if I could have a piece and he said sure. The log is about 30 inched long and about 9 inches in diameter. I have never done any saw mill work so right now my plan is to cut the lighter sap wood off with a large band saw that I have access to then when I have it square slice off 3/4 or 7/8 inch slabs length wise and stack them with wood blocks in between and let dry for a couple of months. Then save all the saw dust put it in sacks and put in the sock drawer. The red center wood has a wonderfull smell to it. Any more experienced out there offer up any suggestions would be welcome
CedarLog1.jpg

CedarLog2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

If you do other stuff such as bowls or bottle stoppers you may want to consider bigger blanks. Or maybe some cross grain or a 45 cut. You might even consider keeping some of the sapwood for contrast.

TurnerJohn74

I would get some wax on the ends of the log right away until you saw it up. You want it to dry slowly or it will crack and check real bad. I would cut it larger then you want cause it will bend and twist during drying. Then square it up when it drys.

ctubbs

Many loggers use latex paint for the ends. I have found that red cedar has little tendency to check when cut into boards. Anything to retard moisture loss out the end grain will help. Yes, if you do not stack and apply top pressure, warping is a strong tendency. TurnerJohn74 is correct about the size. You will have shrinkage and some twisting. BTW, how long has it been cut? It could already be seasoned a bit. It will not be dry but it may be below the FSP. You should be able to find good info at Lumberjocks.com on milling and drying wood.

Disclaimer: I AIN'T no lumber man!! Take my advice with many pounds of salt!

Top Bottom