cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDrayton

Anyone out there ever turn pens from southern red cedar? Or is too soft? I have tons of it, and it appears to have great grain and tiny knots.

John Drayton (Ar)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

turns fine, cracks fine if sanded too hot. Cracks when drying if bowls are not of even thickness.

Soft for pens, so it may dent, but has a nice feel (JMHO)

Dario

I've used a few and they make nice pens. A bit tough to finish because it is soft...if you sand it properly (use proper grit steps) there should be no problem. Oh, they tend to splinter sometimes so be careful.

I collected a few recently and the base/root ball have very nice figure. The knots you metioned should produce interesting figure too.

I love the aroma too (though some people don't like it).

JimGo

They are beautiful pens, but as John and Dario pointed out, they can be a little soft so they'll show all the bumps and bruises the pen receives. That being said, I've told recipients that it adds "character" to the pen! [:D] Here are some pictures of various cedar pens:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album.asp?mode=search&AlbumUsers=0&Photo_Search=cedar&submit1=search

ncseeker

Last week I found an old cedar hiking stick I made years ago. Since I haven't been hiking in a while, I thought I'd try using it to make a pen. I finished it with CA, EEE and then Shellwax. It came out nice and shiny. So much so that I made a matching pencil. Now I have about 4 more feet of pen stock to use !!

ryannmphs

I've turned a few pens out of cedar, and yes, even with a CA finish they dent. I have thought about sending a couple blanks off for professional stabilizing, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've also turned cedar "acorns" for our closet

Ryan

Dario

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />It's still my #1 selling pens----heck I make them 20 at a time.
Of course I have some of the best Cedar on earth---really I do.

Now, I have to see these cedar of yours [:D]

I do have a few cedar blanks worth showing off too [;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />It's still my #1 selling pens----heck I make them 20 at a time.
Of course I have some of the best Cedar on earth---really I do.

Now, I have to see these cedar of yours [:D]

I do have a few cedar blanks worth showing off too [;)]

No. Mine is better. [:D] I sell pure Arkansas Ozarks aromatic Red Cedar blanks.

PenWorks

I have not seen cedar from the Ozarks, but I have Kentucky burl cedar from Gary and it is Grade A stuff. I put no finish on them other than oil to let the aroma come out.

Gary gets my good house keeping seal of approveal [:p]
But I wouldn't take that to the bank [:D]

JohnDrayton

Thanks for the input, the pics of your cedar creations are great! I will try it as soon as it quits raining here in south Ar. !

John Drayton

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
No offense meant to anyone's cedar, but here's Gary's. It's as beautiful as I've ever seen. (This was the worst of the lot, if you can imagine.)

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20058421041_CedarBurlView3.jpg
<br />

bnoles

I'm new to the forum, but had to comment on what a beautiful pen this was. I have turned only a couple of cedar blanks so far and they came out pretty nice.

Dan

I have some Virginia cedar drying in my garage right now. It grows all over the place here. I can't resist the urge to sniff the small saddle of it every time I get the chance, it smells so good. I hope to get some nice burling when I cut it - probably about this time next year, huh?

Any tips on turning and finishing it? I like a high gloss finish, but I imagine that's kill the scent. Will stabilization kill the nice smell? What about sanding sealer?

Dan
Unionville, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom