Cebloplast // Cellulose Acetate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Bill, I turn mine on a metal lathe. Drill and part at 140 turning at 640 Stuff likes to melt at high speed. DAMHIKT:redface:

OKLAHOMAN

Bill, I drill mine on a D/P with a Paul Huffman Vise, I drill at a slow speed and remove the bit every 1/8th to 1/4 inch I lube the hole with water and continue another 1/4 inch. I do not drill all the way through, leaving about an eight inch to be cut off.
I lathe on my jet wood lathe ( will be useing my new metal lathe when I get time to play with it) at the higest speed, but take light passes. This stuff polishes up wonderfully.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Easy answer: Don't get it hot.

Don't use padded sandpaper---if your fingers feel HOT, QUIT!! Let it cool.

Touch the blanks every minute or so, while turning (on the back of the blank so you don't pinch your finger), if it FEELS HOT--QUIT!!! Let it cool.

It ain't rocket science---more like patience.

butchf18a

drilling Ceblox

:usflag:Drill on lathe. Slow speed, sharp bits, take your time. OkMan's thoughts on water for lube and cooling are right on.

Ceblox being expensive, I hate to waste any of it by cutting extra long then cutting it off after drilling almost all the way through. Alternative is to CA on a backer block. Pictures show piece I did today. All I did was add a piece of standard dowel rod. This will prevent blowout. Then just cut the backer block off. I will do the same thing on TruStone. With this methodology I have been successful drilling a 3/4" sq. TS blank for a Majestic. Ever wonder what to do with all those little cut-off pieces left over when cuting blanks? Mine go into a box on the small bandsaw stand. Use them for backers or segmentation work.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 304
Reactions: dow

PenMan1

I drill it with a special bit reserved for Ceboplast and Bakelite. I used 250 rpms (my lathe's slowest speed). I cool with water and drill no more than 1/4 inch at the time.

Of course, sharp tools for cutting, No heat!

This may sound weird, but I dry sand (slowly) so I can feel the heat. If my sanding fingers start to get warm I stop for a while.

butchf18a

I drill it with a special bit reserved for Ceboplast and Bakelite. I used 250 rpms (my lathe's slowest speed). I cool with water and drill no more than 1/4 inch at the time.

Of course, sharp tools for cutting, No heat!

This may sound weird, but I dry sand (slowly) so I can feel the heat. If my sanding fingers start to get warm I stop for a while.

I also initially dry sand 320, very slow. then wet sand 400, 600 W/D, micro mesh, and swirl polish. Dead on shine. Key, take your time.

Manny

I just finished drilling a long click and 2 Jr Gents. Watch the chips coming out when you drill. I noticed when the heat build up occurs the chips start to shrivel up. The trick is to pull the drill out just before this starts to happen. Cool the bit and inside of the blank and continue. Sharp bits and slow lathe speed are essential.

If you are blowing out I would say either you are moving the drill through the blank too quickly, or you are allow too much material to build up on the bit. Mark the drill so you know when the end is coming and back up clear the bit and go very slow.

You also might want to try several steps smaller drill before final drilling.

Manny

Top Bottom