CD Pen ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Over the past few years, I have thrown out literally hundreds of the freebie CDs that show up in the mail offering AOL and various other merchandise or services. It has always bugged me to throw the things away; but I could never think of anything useful to do with them??

Well, in reading Don's post on pens from vinyl siding, it occurred to me that one might be able to make a pen from CDs. I have seen the pen that was made from old credit cards; but was planning something slightly different. Thought I would laminate a bunch of full sized disks to a stack about 3/4" thick and then saw up the stack to make a couple of blanks. The laminations would run parallel to the tube rather than perpendicular to it like the credit card pen.

Anybody ever attempted something like this? I wonder if you would get any of the "rainbow effect" that CDs display when presented to light at the proper angle?

My only problem, now, is I don't have any junk CDs. Have thrown them all out!!!:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Randy, no CD's? That's what Elton John and AOL are for.

Laminating them might be a bit tricky. Personally I'd use some 180 grit paper and scuff the faces up good (I'd use a random orbit palm sander but that's only b/c I have one handy). Use a good brand clear or "whitish" epoxy and clamp them up good and tight.

If nothing you will have an odd looking pen. At best you'll have a nice odd looking pen. I'd do it. I have some pen blanks right now that I have glued up made out of something I'm pretty sure NOBODY has done. With any luck they will be done by the end of the week.

53Jim

I have not tried cd's yet, but I have tried Mountain Dew bottles. Talk about a pain in the ... One thing I found out, about halfway through the glueing process, drill holes first, than glue and slide onto the tubes. That makes things go a whole lot smoother.

By the way, the pen did not TURN out.[:(] I did mak a key ring out of the blank that didn't fly around the shop. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

Good luck.

wags54

Randy CD's are pretty brittle, not sure how good they would work. Every one I have ever snapped to break it just flew in about a hundred different pices.

btboone

It might be worth trying small pieces in a matrix of either CA or polyester to see if the diffraction grating sparklies still work. That alone would make for a nice looking pen.

gerryr

I thought I would use just one as an accent peice in a pen. It literally shattered when the band saw blade touched it. [:0] I was picking up the peices for a couple of days. It might be possible to cut it with a vry fine tooth blade. I never tried it again.

tnilmerl

it's the sawing that tends to hose over your glued up blank (because CDs are brittle). You need to oversize the blank by a couple of layers. Clear glue is best (CA) but I'm thinking of trying a polyuretane such as gorilla glue to see what the additional 'colored' layer will provide. Turning tends to chip out your blank if you're not careful. I'm thinking of trying DVD instead od CDs. DVD are more flexible and easier to tool than CDs.

Randy_

Many thanks to all who responded to my question!! As soon as i have accumulated a few more CDs I am definitely going to give this a shot; but take to heart all of the comments that have been offered.

Doc: Send me all of the Barry M disks you can find......I love the guy!![:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom