Catridge kit pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Good morning fellow turners!!

I just had a client email me and aks If I could make the "cartridge rollerball system or have it". My first thought was yes, I can make him a componentless pen with the rollerball cartridge setup. But then thought he may have a "kit" type pen in mind. So my question...are their any kit pens even out there that you can get (that are rollerball), that utilize a cardridge and not just a refill? I'm going to email him back and discuss the componentless option, but if he hits me with a kit pen, I want to know if that's even an option.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

The Schmidt cartridge rollerball system from Exoticblanks will fit in several fountain pen kits (Jr. Gent, for example), but requires thread chasing in most of them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Historically, the answer has been, "no, the rollerball needs to have a cap and there is no cap for a cartridge design."

However, more manufacturers are introducing "capless" rollerball refills, so you COULD design a kit to accommodate such a refill. As far as I know, to date no manufacturer has done this and released it to the market.

Which could change, any day.

Hendu3270

Good morning fellow turners!!

I just had a client email me and aks If I could make the "cartridge rollerball system or have it". My first thought was yes, I can make him a componentless pen with the rollerball cartridge setup. But then thought he may have a "kit" type pen in mind. So my question...are their any kit pens even out there that you can get (that are rollerball), that utilize a cardridge and not just a refill? I'm going to email him back and discuss the componentless option, but if he hits me with a kit pen, I want to know if that's even an option.

Just for the record...I'm not one of those guys that say, "let me aks you a question"....

I know how to spell AND SAY, "ask"...it was just a typo. I say all this because that's one of my wife's pet peeves...just like when someone says "ecspecially" instead of "especially"

Anyways, we talked about it and he is interested in the typical component-less pen with the cartridge rollerball setup. I sent him a photo of one of the ones I've created recently and he said "Yes! like that, but I have a CAD drawing of what I want". He's obviously given the size and dimensions of this pen some thought, so as long as the dimensions work with the taps and dies that I currently use, without being wafer thin, we should be fine. Not sure if I want to run out and purchase a new tap and die if his "design" needs something different than what I have.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would think if he knows enough to do a CAD drawing, he realizes what the cost of tooling will be. Sounds like he really wants to design his own pen and just wants you to make it.

As long as the costs are agreed on, up front, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Hendu3270

I would think if he knows enough to do a CAD drawing, he realizes what the cost of tooling will be. Sounds like he really wants to design his own pen and just wants you to make it.

As long as the costs are agreed on, up front, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Exactly.

Top Bottom