casting resin question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

For those casting your own resin. Does anyone have a really good brown color? I am looking for a rich chocolate brown. The clear I have is a nice color but I do not want it clear. I have an opaque brown, but the color is closer to a rust. Has anyone ever tried anything other than resin dye? The Home Depot has small tubes of paint pigment I buy to make my own paint colors. I wonder if that would work? Artists paints in oil or acrylic? I used some wood dye once. It worked but then again it was see through. Any brown powdered pigment out there? Wait I have some powdered candy colors I thinks I will try. I am not sure if I have a brown or not.I,ll let you know. any ideas on brown please let me know. Thanks Alice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I spoke with a sales rep at Artstuf.com and he told me that universal colorant for mixing paint will work. I have used acrylic pigment (not paint) and I have also used powdered tempura. Be aware that these additives will affect curing time and quality. Maybe Anthony can chime in, but I think the amount of catalyst must be reduced. When I used the acrylic and tempura, the cure took much longer than usual. I need to experiment with different amounts of catalyst to find outr how curing is affected with additives. The folks at artstuff.com have been helpful. Maybe the people at the other place (can't rremember the name) where we buy P can help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

elody21

Thanks all,
I have the smoke color and I like it ,but then again it is "clear"

Thanks for the green and red idea,but that usually come out a little on the grey side. I am trying for a rich Hershy bar chocolate color

Thanks Don for the info! I have universal tint the brand name Tints-All from Home Depot. The color sandalwood #31 is a beautiful brown. If it warms up today I think I will try it out!! Illinois this May has been very cold! If we break 60 we feel lucky!
Wow! with the universal tint as an idea it open another whole group of colors!!!
I have noticed when I use alot powdered I usually add about 9 drops instead of 7. It still takes longer to cure but it makes the blank stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom