casting PR snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

Just this morning I did my first cast, I filled the tubes with nails and when I pored the resin in they all floated had to quickly add weight to the top to keep them down. my question is has anyone tried BB's or fishing weights inside the tubes

2006616143217_cast.jpg

200661614332_cas.jpg

Had a socket on top until jelled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Roy,
I use BB's and they work fine. I live in Wichita Falls, Tx. I can get a kitchen pass from the wife...If you can, maybe we should get together some Sat and make a few casts. Maybe we should try to get some area penturners together to make a few pens and exchange ideas. I've attached a pic of one of my castings.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

2006616145721_snake%20skin%20cast.jpg
<br />
Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN
<br />Just this morning I did my first cast, I filled the tubes with nails and when I pored the resin in they all floated had to quickly add weight to the top to keep them down. my question is has anyone tried BB's or fishing weights inside the tubes

OKLAHOMAN

Don, would love to get together some Sat., I know I could learn so much from you, Have a freind who lives in Ryan, Ok. just over the border from you ,E mail me and lets see if we can get some others together.

davidrei

I've used #9 chilled lead shot that I have from reloading shotgun shells (for skeet shooting). #9 is the smallest size shot which means more lead in the tube and hence more weight. And since it's lead, it can be drilled out in the event you have a leak and the PR gets inside the tube (yes, the voice of experience). Worked VERY well for me and it's fairly cheap. You can get it at most any store that sells shooting supplies, though you may have to buy a 25 pound bag.

OKLAHOMAN

OK . The cast dried and I popped them out of the mold and when I took a good look at the snake it was cloudy, not the cast just the snake. then I cut them into blanks and cut the dowels of and tried to drive the dowels into the blanks(No luck) seems that the acrylic went into the tubes and had to drill out the dowels. Of course i destroyed all but one. The skins I used I got from snake den specialties in SD and every one said that they have no trouble with his tanning but all mine were cloudy looking. Could it be that when I CA ed them to the blanks that the CA blead through an made them cloudy when the PR was cast?. The next cast I do will be with corks so as no leakage accurs.I'm more concerned with the cloudy looking skins. any help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom