Cast Iron Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

OK, I've been asked "what would your dream pen be?" and the answer is seeming possible. I'd like your thoughts. Picture this.....a good piece of cast iron cookware, brand new. It has that rustic, hearty look. It isn't shiny and glinting. Now, imagine a pen kit (baron maybe?) made of cast iron! Have some nice simple red oak with a matte finish, or rosewood burl to make the picutre a perfect one......

Have any of you seen a cast iron kit, or know of a metal worker that could make such a thing? I've spoken with an iron forger.....and its doable via forging, but would be quite cost prohibitive because of the detail required.

Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

One difference between cast iron cookware and pens is the amount of handling. Wouldn't a pen rust without the same kind of care and "seasoning" that cast iron cookware gets?

Paul in OKC

Cast iron is pretty porous (sp). It does rust over time, and it is dirty to handle. you would have to put some type of finish or coating on it. In the size of a pen, wouldn't be terribly heavy, I don't think.

airrat

I think you might want to have a moderator move this to the appropriate thread as this is the fundraising section.

As to your idea it sounds interesting but the weight would be an issue I believe. Maybe find something that can be cast so it looks like cast iron but 1/2 the weight.

Hello

Thank you for all of your responses!
Tom in Chandler, AZ, perhaps you should double check, this isn't the fundraising section.
Michael Hancock - I like what I see on that site! I may try one...I didn't read much, is actually metal? I assume not. I'm looking for a kit thats cast iron, rather than a blank.
Dawn Dodd - You're getting good at squashing my bits of brilliance....but I"ve done more research this time! (referencing the childrens blocks). I melted a baron kit and measured it by volume. The weight of the baron in cast iron would be approximately the same as an Emporer....maybe a few grains heavier.

Referencing the bits about cast iron being porous, I learned from the forger that the way that I give it that "black" look is also the way you protect it from rust - long process short, you burn bees wax into its surface....not just melt, but burn, and do i a few times.

CharlesSharp

Let me start of by saying "Machining Cast Iron SUCKS!" It's dirty, nasty and basically a PITA. If you decide to do it, use dust collection. I would wear a dust mask.

Now that that is out of the way, you may want to look at some plumbing supplies and see if you can find a piece that will work.

Also, there are different grades of cast iron and some are sold in plates and bars, check with a local steel yard.

Tuba707

Micah, in Portland, ME, it was in the Fundraising section when that was posted. I saw it :D But one of our on-the-ball moderators already moved it. No worries.

jhs494

As a machinist I would have to agree that machining cast iron Is
dirty and you would have to coat afterwards somehow. It is like opening your pencil sharpener. Dust and crap everywhere.
But with that said if you would like to try it Look at www.mcmaster.com do a search for cast iron they have many sizes of round available.

If you do try it please post a finished picture.
I will tell you that is one I won't try. :)

airrat

Originally posted by Hello

Thank you for all of your responses!
Tom in Chandler, AZ, perhaps you should double check, this isn't the fundraising section.

It was in the fundraising section when I posted and there was no sarcasm in my suggestion. Hence the edit to your post by Mesquiteman.

Top Bottom