Casing problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

First time turning a casing pen, and since the casing had imperfections and wasn't shiny I thought it'd be a good idea to wet sand the brass and indeed looked nice but the day after I notice the brass tarnished, maybe I wasn't a good idea after all ...is there a way to repair and polish it or is it beyond repair ?? Also do you guys leave the casing as is with all the imperfections (scratches and little dings) ?? Or do you polish it? Someone here mentioned you need to put something to protect the brass from daily use?? Once again thank you to all the people who take time to read and answer my questions I greatly appreciate it.

Erik

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

Forgot to upload a picture so here it is.

Attachments

• image-111429254.jpg
    image-111429254.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 178
  • image-4082658713.jpg
    image-4082658713.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 151

Erik831

I always polish casings before I sell them but I find 99% of the people I sell finished bullet pens to like the patina on them. I had some before that was powder coated and I couldnt get rid of them.

That's what I thought Jason , I do like the patina as well , do you know what can I do to fix this pen?

KenV

Brass will tarnish if uncoated -- it does it in the dark and at night. Corrosion never sleeps.

Just wait -- it will turn darker.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I always polish casings before I sell them but I find 99% of the people I sell finished bullet pens to like the patina on them. I had some before that was powder coated and I couldnt get rid of them.

That's what I thought Jason , I do like the patina as well , do you know what can I do to fix this pen?

You can hand polish it if it's already assembled. I try not to handle the casing once it's assembled to prevent finger oils sticking on them until they start to patina.

RMayoIII

I shine mine up on the lathe by using a drill chuck in the head stock lightly holding the transmission with the refill removed with a live center supporting the tip. Then I use a scotchbright pad with collinite metal wax until I get the desired sheen. Stays that way for quite a while but will eventually need maintenance or it will patina.

Top Bottom